1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dis-ambiguate: derivative of a vector field Y on a curve is the covariant of Y

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This two-part problem is from O'Neill's Elementary Differential Geometry, section 2.5.

Let W be a vector field defined on a region containing a regular curve a(t). Then W(a(t)) is a vector field on a(t) called the restriction of W to a(t).

1. Prove that Cov W w.r.t. a'(t) equals (W(a))'(t) where "Cov W w.r.t a'(t)" reads "the covariant of W with respect to a'(t)."

2. Deduce that the straight line in Definition 5.1 (below) may be replaced by any curve with initial velocity v. Thus the derivative Y' of a vector field Y on a curve a(t) is (almost) Cov Y w.r.t. a'(t).

Definition 5.1. Let W be a vector field on R^3, and let v be a tangent vector to R^3 at the point p. The the covariant derivative of W with respect to v is the tangent vector (W(p+tv))'(0) at the point p.

The following definition is useful for part (2) since it distinguishes between a vector field and a vector field on a curve.

Definition 2.2. A vector field on a curve 'a' from I to R^3 is a function that assigns to each number t in I a tangent vector Y(t) to R^3 at the point a(t).

2. Relevant equations
    Part (1) was fairly straight-forward, using the definitions of covariant derivative and what it means to differentiate a composition.

Part (2) has two parts. My approach to the first part is the following, and I believe it to be correct. The idea is to define a function on curves a(t) and show that it agrees with the covariant derivative with respect to a vector v at a point p for all curves a(t) such that a(0)=p and a'(0)=v. Part (1) can be used to show the function is well-defined and that it indeed equals the covariant. The second part, starting at "Thus" is where I'm having trouble. It's with the use of the word "almost." To me, if Y is a vector field on a curve a(t), then using the definition of covariant, straight-line or otherwise, makes no sense because Y(a(t)) is not defined (i.e., Y is not defined on R^3, only R). So I thought this might be the almost part. However, what's 'almost' about it? I was thinking that perhaps given Y on a(t) that a vector field Ybar could be defined such that Ybar equals Y(a(t)), and that then Y' would equal the covariant of Ybar instead of Y. However, I don't think I can 'always' define such a Ybar.

Thank you in advance for your guided help. This is my first posting.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    In the "Relevant equations" section I meant to say "Ybar composed with 'a' equals Y," not the other way around.

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
    Attached is the PDF of an easier-to-read TeX version.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook