Component of Lie Derivative expression vector field

In summary, the student is struggling to find an expression for the b^th component of the Lie derivative of a vector field using the given expression.
binbagsss
lieexam.png
1. Homework Statement

Hi,

I have done part a) by using the expression given for the lie derivative of a vector field and noting that if ##w## is a vector field then so is ##wf## and that was fine.
In order to do part b) I need to use the expression given in the question but looking at a component of the lie derivative of ##u ## w.r.t ##v## instead..And I'm unsure how to get this expression .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked it up and see it is:

$$(\mathcal L_vu)^a=[v,u]^a=v^c\partial_cu^a-u^c\partial_c v^a = v^cu^a_{,c}-u^cv^a_{,c}$$

for the ##a##th component of ##\mathcal L_v w##

this is what I need to use right?

I am unsure how you get this expression for the ath component from the vector field expression we are given , working with the ##(0,0) ## rank tensors: ##V=V^u \partial_u ##. Should it be obvious via a index/dimension analysis or is it even more obvious than that?

I see that the expression is consistent with being covariant , if ##\partial_u \to \nabla_u ## then the expression holds and is covariant, so could almost trial my way to the correct expression however, but would like a better understanding.

(For example say if we wanted the lie derivative of ##a##component of ##w## wrt to ##v## my guess would be to do something like :
##V^uW^v\partial_v - W^v\partial_v V^u ##

loosing the derivative associated with the vector field V- which I know isn't what we seek anyway. But I'm confused because it looks like the dummy indices have been interchanged in the second term too, before loosing the derivative in that term)

many thanks

Attachments

• lieexam.png
    lieexam.png
    14 KB · Views: 933
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to look it up? You have been given the definition of the Lie derivative in the problem formulation. A priori, you should be able to find an expression for the components of the Lie derivative starting from that expression.

The derivatives of the vector components are normal partial derivatives. The point is that the asymmetry anyway leads to the Lie derivative being a vector field.

Orodruin said:
Why do you need to look it up? You have been given the definition of the Lie derivative in the problem formulation. A priori, you should be able to find an expression for the components of the Lie derivative starting from that expression.

yeh i recognised that, that's why I'm asking, and pretty much what i said in my op...

i don't understand how. and gave my thoughts. I'm asking for help..

For (a) you just need the definition, not any coordinate expression for the Lie derivative. For (b) you will need the coordinate expression for the Lie derivative of a vector field. I do not understand where the problem in obtaining this coordinate expression comes from. To compute ##w(f)##, just apply the coordinate expression and the same for ##v(w(f))##, where you should note that ##w(f)## is just a scalar field so the vector ##v## acting on that scalar field is given by the usual expression.

Orodruin said:
For (a) you just need the definition, not any coordinate expression for the Lie derivative. For (b) you will need the coordinate expression for the Lie derivative of a vector field. I do not understand where the problem in obtaining this coordinate expression comes from.

As I've said in the other thread, I don't really understand the definitions of vector field here or what a coordinate expression means. Other than the coordinate expression will be invariant I guess, whereas the vector field expression I'm guessing stands covariant?

As I've said in the other thread my GR notes pretty much say that a scalar is a rank ##(0,0) ## tensor and ##(1,0)## rank is a vector, and as far as I can see ## V^u \partial_u ## is a rank ##(0,0) ## , so I'm unsure why it's termed a vector field... which is my confusion no one has seemed to reply to but instead just stated their knowledge on the subject and not help me un-confuse any concepts or tell me what I am doing wrong.

Anyhow, I have just received a reply in the other thread saying that ## V_p = V^u \partial_u |_p ##, well a lower index to me is a covector so perhaps if I could have this as ## V^p = V^u \partial_u |_p ## then I can take the definition given in the question and get the b^th component by evaluating the last vector on each term at ##b## :

## (L_v u)^b = v^c \partial_c u^a \partial_a |_b - u^c \partial_c v^a \partial_a |_b = v^c \partial_c u^b - u^c \partial_c v^b ##

binbagsss said:
As I've said in the other thread, I don't really understand the definitions of vector field here or what a coordinate expression means. Other than the coordinate expression will be invariant I guess, whereas the vector field expression I'm guessing stands covariant?

Then the correct way of going about things is to understand those definitions first, before you try delving deeper into the theory. Unless you first make a solid groundwork to stand on, everything will be shaky.

As I've said in the other thread
Which other thread?

my GR notes pretty much say that a scalar is a rank ##(0,0) ## tensor and ##(1,0)## rank is a vector, and as far as I can see ## V^u \partial_u ## is a rank ##(0,0) ##
This is wrong. It is a (1,0) tensor, i.e., a tangent vector. Why do you think it is a scalar? The tangent space is the vector space of directional derivatives at the given point and what you have is obviously a directional derivative.

1. What is the component of a Lie Derivative expression of a vector field?

The component of a Lie Derivative expression of a vector field refers to the specific direction or axis in which the derivative is being taken. It represents the change of the vector field along that particular direction.

2. How is the component of a Lie Derivative expression calculated?

The component of a Lie Derivative expression can be calculated using the directional derivative formula, which involves taking the dot product of the vector field with the derivative of the basis vector along the specified direction.

3. What is the significance of the component of a Lie Derivative expression?

The component of a Lie Derivative expression is significant because it allows us to understand the change of a vector field in a specific direction, which can have implications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. Can the component of a Lie Derivative expression be negative?

Yes, the component of a Lie Derivative expression can be negative if the vector field is decreasing or decreasing faster than the basis vector in the specified direction. This indicates a decrease in the value of the vector field in that direction.

5. How is the component of a Lie Derivative expression used in practical applications?

The component of a Lie Derivative expression is commonly used in differential geometry and general relativity to study the behavior of vector fields and their changes in a given space. It also has applications in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics.