Mass-to-charge ratio in a mass spectrometer missing factor of 2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
BecauseICan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Edit: Sorry I just realized this should be in Introductory Physics. Can a moderator could please move it?

Homework Statement



Show that in a mass spectrometer, the mass to charge ratio, m/q is equal to:

m/q = (B2r2)/(2[tex]\Delta[/tex]V)

Homework Equations



F = qvBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I started with F = qvBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

An ion moves in a circular path in a spectrometer, so F = mv2/r

mv2/r = qvBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

Rearranging and simplifying gets:

m/q = Br/v, and since v = E/B I get m/q = B2r/E

E = V/r and my final result is:

m/q = (B2r2)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

So I'm wondering where I lost the 2 in the Potential Difference term. Any help is appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More information should have been given!
v = E/B implies a speed selector, usually a separate section of the apparatus whose B is not the same as the one causing the circular motion.
E = V/r is only true if the speed selector has a pair of parallel plates with separation r = radius of curvature. Very strange! Maybe the plate separation is r/2 or something.