Discovery channel will be re-airing its show Supervolcano

In summary: This is what started the influx of yellowstone supervolcano interest, I saw it when it was first aired 2000:http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/supervolcanoes.shtmlI hear that there is another supervolcano in Indonesia (sumatra).How close to the surface is this volcano in yellowstone, 10-20 Km ?Yellow Stone National Park catastrophe? When was this and what happend? :confused: Would it be like the movie The Day After Tomorrow ? That would definitely not be good.It hasn't happened yet. Basically, there as been extreme volcanic activity in the Yellowstone area in the
Kenneth Mann
Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano"

Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Kenneth Mann said:
Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM

Is this the program on the yellow stone national park catastrophe?

if that thing blows up, we are goners man !

stoned said:
if that thing blows up, we are goners man !

yeah pretty much. With USA in ice age, and massie climate change :rolleyes:

time to head south to Mexico. :confused:

<<<is watching Dora the Explorer to freshen up on my spanish:smile:

Kenneth Mann said:

KM

thanks. :smile:

It will be intersting to see how well they stick to science, and how much is about the special effects.

I've got on my to watch list, should be interesting..per Ivans post

crap ! i don't have cable TV :cry:

Crap, I don't have American TV! :wink:

if its any good, please let me know and I'll watch out for it in future.

Kenneth Mann said:

KM

GAHH! That's today! Just means I'll have to stay up late Tuesday night to watch my other show. :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
thanks. :smile:

It will be intersting to see how well they stick to science, and how much is about the special effects.

Do they have a tendency to make claims without the evidence of science to back up what they are saying?

Bladibla said:
Is this the program on the yellow stone national park catastrophe?

Yellow Stone National Park catastrophe? When was this and what happend? :confused:

Would it be like the movie The Day After Tomorrow ? That would definitely not be good.

hey people ! can someone make a copy of this show, and send it to me? I'm going to pay you back.

Attachments

• cutekitten.jpg
    cutekitten.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 410
Those thumbnails are CUTE!:biggrin:

I'm not sure where you could find a copy of the show.

I thought it was a good show, based mostly in fact of of previous eruptions. A good reminder that no matter how much we know of these things, we still don't know enough.
And ok, I'll stop poking fun of my kids long term food stock, and their emergency water purification system.

Kenneth Mann said:

KM

This was shown here in the UK early March:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/programme.shtml#truth

it may be the same programme you are going to see?

Good, but has some obvious flaws, but agian quite a good show.

Yes its the same show, but it aired here in one night. The post show information was very accurate.

I hear that there is another supervolcano in Indonesia (sumatra).
How close to the surface is this volcano in yellowstone, 10-20 Km ?

misskitty said:
Yellow Stone National Park catastrophe? When was this and what happend? :confused:

Would it be like the movie The Day After Tomorrow ? That would definitely not be good.

It hasn't happened yet. Basically, there as been extreme volcanic activity in the Yellowstone area in the past as it is above a hotspot. If the program is like the BBC one I saw a while back, then it addresses what could happen if another large scale eruption were to occur.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

stoned said:
I hear that there is another supervolcano in Indonesia (sumatra).
How close to the surface is this volcano in yellowstone, 10-20 Km ?

Yes, and that one (Toba) is the one that has me most concerned now, considering the other recent activity near to it. It is shown at the following site:

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/southeast_asia/indonesia/toba.html [Broken]

By the way, on the show, Yellowstone was called the largest. The info at this site seems to dispute that.

Toba last had a giant eruption about 75,000 years ago, when the Human race was still a very young species. That incident wiped out over ninety percent of the people if I recall my info correctly.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the show "Supervolcano" about?

The show "Supervolcano" is a docudrama that explores the potential catastrophic effects of a supervolcano eruption, specifically the eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera in the United States. It combines scientific research and data with dramatic reenactments to paint a realistic picture of what could happen if a supervolcano were to erupt.

2. When will the "Supervolcano" show be re-aired on the Discovery channel?

The specific re-airing dates for "Supervolcano" on the Discovery channel may vary depending on your location and cable provider. It is best to check your local listings or the Discovery channel's website for the most accurate information.

3. Is "Supervolcano" a factual show or is it fictional?

"Supervolcano" is a docudrama, meaning it combines factual information and data with fictionalized reenactments. The scientific research and data presented in the show are based on real-life scenarios and potential outcomes of a supervolcano eruption.

4. Can I watch "Supervolcano" online or on-demand?

Yes, you can watch "Supervolcano" on-demand through the Discovery channel's website or streaming services that offer the channel. Some episodes may also be available on other streaming platforms such as Hulu or Netflix.

5. Are there any other shows similar to "Supervolcano" on the Discovery channel?

Yes, the Discovery channel has produced several other docudramas and documentaries about natural disasters, including "Megastorm: World's Biggest Typhoon," "Killer Tornadoes," and "Megaquake: Hour That Shook Japan." These shows also combine factual information with dramatic reenactments to educate viewers about potential natural disasters and their impact.