1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Optimization - Genetic Algorithms

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a whole two courseworks on Genetic Algorithms, but we have been shown no examples. I am stumped!

1. A function f is set to depend on five variables x1, . . . , x5 where x1 can take 2 different
    values, x2 can take 8 different values and x3, x4, x5 each take 4 different values. Design
    a minimal binary coding for x1, . . . , x5, i.e. what would a chromosome look like which
    encodes these five numbers? What is the maximal number of settings represented by
    chromosomes coded this way? What is the number of schemata in this encoding?

This is the very first question.

2. Relevant equations
    Nothing, sorry!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wish I knew where to begin!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

These are very basic questions in genetic algorithms, so my guess is that you are supposed to read up on the subject matter before you can understand what is being asked. Surely you must have been given some textbooks or similar that explains this? And even without such, a quick search for "genetic algorithm" on the net should provide you with enough clues and examples. Have you made such (re-) search?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook