Disk can't be put mechanically in the DVD drive

• Thread starter nikolafmf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Drive
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a DVD drive not accepting discs due to three parts coming out of the central cylinder. The person asks for a solution and shares photos to explain the issue. Another person suggests pushing the DVD harder into the drive, and the problem appears to be solved. The conversation also includes pictures of the DVD drive and the three protrusions that are meant to hold the disc in place.
nikolafmf
Hello,

My DVD drive won't accept disks, mechanically. I can't put any disc in. The problem is this: out of the central circle came three parts which make the radius of the central circle larger, so disc won't fit in.

How can one solve this?

I send a picture to explain the problem. The large circle encloses the place where the disk should be, the smaller circle is the part of the drive, with the three parts which somehow came out of it and don't allow the disk to be put in.

Attachments

• CD problem.png
    CD problem.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 518
Computer science news on Phys.org
Did the drive EVERY accept DVD's? Can you show a picture of the actual drive?

Do you mean if it ever accepted DVDs? Yes, it did. But today, suddenly, 3 parts came out off the central cilinder, so it can't anymore.

Here are some photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-esWgIfGKUtVERZWjVqM2JQQlU/view?usp=sharing [Broken]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-esWgIfGKUtR0Vha0s3VDNpZDA/view?usp=sharing [Broken]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-esWgIfGKUtTnhtS3ItZnpKeDg/view?usp=sharing [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't really see any detail in those pics. Can you get a focused closeup?

I am afraid I can't. But do you see what is the problem?

Hm, I think that I have solve the problem with pressing the DVD a little more :). Strange, but it was then put inside. So, this is solved, I think. Thank you for the interest.

Hello Nico,
I took a picture of my DVD drive with and without a DVD. I think those 3 protrusions are what you're talking about.
Those are spring loaded "clips" meant to push against the inside ring of your CD/DVD so that the drive can grab the disk and spin it. This is a required feature for your drive to work. You may need to push a little harder to get the disk to snap into the drive, but be careful not to push too hard.

Edit: Looks like you solved your problem in the time it took me to take pictures and upload it lol
good on you mate!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/NzilJRMfytuOvAKb0mzut41GpUzf5LWAmtpZqThqxRGrpJc4AjtZg77yHcC3dGEBpzWwzJdXN8azOL4=w1680-h871
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Gvwt80M-kqRoQ0P_YeLq0xreH-AfsrSi2Ttc_nH_6_4kwLvY57ISItiGUCt_DxizgHLse0aVfZhPYAE=w1680-h871

It's broken.

1. Why can't I physically insert the disk into my DVD drive?

The most likely reason for this is that the disk is not compatible with your DVD drive. Different types of disks have different sizes and shapes, and not all DVD drives are designed to accommodate every type. Make sure you are using a standard-sized DVD and try inserting it into another DVD drive to see if the problem persists.

2. What can I do if my DVD drive won't accept the disk?

If the disk is compatible with your DVD drive but still won't fit, there may be an obstruction preventing it from being inserted. Check the inside of the drive for any debris or dust that may be blocking the disk. You can also try gently pushing the disk in with a flat object, such as a credit card or paperclip.

3. Can a damaged disk prevent it from being inserted into a DVD drive?

Yes, a damaged disk can definitely affect its ability to be inserted into a DVD drive. If the disk is bent, cracked, or scratched, it may not fit properly or may cause damage to the drive. Always handle disks with care and avoid using them if they appear to be damaged.

4. Is it possible for a DVD drive to become misaligned and not accept disks?

Yes, it is possible for a DVD drive to become misaligned over time, especially if it is frequently used. This can cause issues with disk insertion and reading. If you suspect your DVD drive may be misaligned, it is best to have it checked and serviced by a professional.

5. How can I prevent future issues with inserting disks into my DVD drive?

To prevent future issues, make sure to always handle disks carefully and avoid inserting any that appear to be damaged. It is also important to regularly clean the inside of your DVD drive to prevent any debris or dust buildup. If you frequently have issues with disk insertion, consider upgrading to a newer or higher quality DVD drive.