Displacement of a Rolling Ball with Initial Velocity and Constant Acceleration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
physics.
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball rolling with an initial velocity of 40m/s[W] undergoes an acceleration of 5.0m/s2[N] for a period of 6.0 seconds. What is the displacement of the ball in the 6.0 seconds?

The Attempt at a Solution



Apparently the answer is 260m[W21°N]

Please help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not know any formulas relating constant acceleration to speed and distance?
 
Well I know the displacement north is 30m, because i was given an acceleration and a time. From that I found the final velocity of 50m/s from the triangle these two velocities created. Using the motion formula V22 = V12 + 2ad , i found the displacement to be 90, not 260... And I have no idea how to use vectors in this case to find a direction
 
physics. said:
Well I know the displacement north is 30m, because i was given an acceleration and a time. From that I found the final velocity of 50m/s from the triangle these two velocities created. Using the motion formula V22 = V12 + 2ad , i found the displacement to be 90, not 260... And I have no idea how to use vectors in this case to find a direction

You have to use vectors in this case. Or just find the x-direction motion separately and y-direction displacement separately. Then add those two Vectorially by forming triangle as you did to final velocity. Hope you find this helpful.