Displacement of a wave: Understanding Negative Results

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
BOAS
Messages
546
Reaction score
19
Hi,

I don't understand why I keep getting a negative result...

Homework Statement



The displacement (in metres) of a wave is given according to

y = 0.26 sin(πt − 3.7πx),

where t is in seconds and x is in metres,

What is the displacement y when t = 38 and x = 13 [m] ?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The wave travels in the +x direction because as time increases so does the displacement, so I'm expecting a +ve result.

[itex]y = 0.26 \sin (\pi 38 - 3.7 \pi 13)[/itex]

This keeps giving me [itex]y = -0.1367[/itex] as an answer which surely can't be correct.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks,

BOAS
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be misunderstanding the word "displacement". A wave moves up and down as it travels. It is, as you have calculated, the y coordinate, not movement in the x direction. It certainly can be negative.
 
HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be misunderstanding the word "displacement". A wave moves up and down as it travels. It is, as you have calculated, the y coordinate, not movement in the x direction. It certainly can be negative.

You're right, I had misunderstood that - Thanks, it makes more sense now.

I also did the calculation in degrees which explains why the magnitude of my answer was wrong.