Why do two textbooks have conflicting equations for the harmonic wave equation?

In summary, the two textbooks seem to be disagreeing on the equation for displacement in a transverse harmonic wave. One book uses the equation for displacement at t=0 [y(x,0)] and the other for displacement at x=0 [y(0,t)]. They both use the example of a rope shaken in set time intervals to make a harmonic wave, with an x-axis set at the position of the rope "at rest", and seem to agree when the wave is going in the negative x direction. However, the second book seems to assume that y(0,0) = 0, whereas the first book allows y(0,0) to be non-zero.
SuperSpasm

Homework Statement

I'm using a couple different textbooks on waves, and it seems they've possibly contradicted one another.
I think the problem may be that one deduced the equation for displacement in a transverse harmonic wave
y(x,t) through the equation for displacement at t=0 [y(x,0)] and the other for displacement at x=0 [y(0,t)]
they both use the example of a rope shaken in set time intervals to make a harmonic wave, with an x-axis set at the position of the rope "at rest", and seem to agree when the wave is going in the negative x direction.
I'm trying to cram this for a test tomorrow and don't really fully understand it, so I'll try to put whatever equations they used to derive this in so maybe you can understand the difference, sorry if this gets long or redundant.

Homework Equations

1st textbook (this one I was able to follow):

##t=0:##
##y = Asin(\frac{2\pi x}{\lambda} + \phi) ##

##t\neq 0:##
##y = Asin(\frac{2\pi (x \pm vt)}{\lambda} + \phi)##
##y = Asin(\frac{2\pi x}{\lambda} \pm \frac{2\pi vt}{\lambda} +\phi)##

##v = \lambda f,\ \frac{v}{\lambda} = f##
##\omega = 2\pi f,\ k = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##

finally:
(1) ##y = Asin(kx\pm \omega t + \phi)##

2nd textbook (in the beginning they refer only to a wave moving in the positive x direction):

##x=0##
##y(x,t) = y_{0} (t-\frac{x}{v})## <- this is where I lost them.

then they reference a previous chapter, siting that harmonic motion is given by this:
##y_0(t) = Acos(\omega t + \phi)##
##y(x,t) = Asin[\omega (t - \frac{x}{v})] ##
(2) ##y(x,t) = Asin(\omega t - kx)##

and for waves moving in the negative x direction:
## y(x,t) = Asin(\omega t + kx)##

the discrepency here is that (1) = -(2) [since ##\omega t - kx = -(kx - \omega t)## and ##sin(-a) = -sin(a)##]

as I write this I'm starting to think it maybe has to do with the second book omitting the phase constant ##\phi##? Nonetheless I'm kinda lost with the second book's reasoning. Can anyone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second equation clearly assumes that ##y(0,0) = 0##; whereas, the first equation allows ##y(0,0)## to be non-zero. The two equations are, however, equivalent apart from this. What you're missing is that ##A## is an arbitrary constant. So, for a particular solution, you would have ##A## in one case and ##-A## in the other.

Likes SuperSpasm
I think I get it now, thanks!

What is the harmonic wave equation?

The harmonic wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a medium. It is used to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a wave at any given point in time and space.

What is the formula for the harmonic wave equation?

The formula for the harmonic wave equation is: y(x,t) = A sin(kx ± ωt), where y is the displacement, x is the position, t is the time, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, and ω is the angular frequency.

What is the significance of A, k, and ω in the harmonic wave equation?

A represents the maximum displacement of the wave, k represents the number of complete cycles per unit distance, and ω represents the number of cycles per unit time. These parameters determine the shape, size, and speed of the wave.

What are the different types of waves that can be described by the harmonic wave equation?

The harmonic wave equation can be used to describe various types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves. These waves all exhibit periodic and harmonic behavior, making them suitable for analysis using the harmonic wave equation.

How is the harmonic wave equation used in real-world applications?

The harmonic wave equation is used in various fields, such as acoustics, optics, and engineering, to understand and predict the behavior of waves. It is also used in technologies such as sonar, radar, and medical imaging. Additionally, the harmonic wave equation is essential in studying natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and weather patterns.