1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement of the node, superposition of forces

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody has an idea how to devide the forces on this structure to get the dispacement of the node 4.
    upload_2017-2-22_10-49-8.png
    2. Formulas
    I would like to solve this task by superpositioning forces working on different elements of the construction. (note different EI)
    using basic values for basic beams:
    upload_2017-2-22_10-58-51.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2017-2-22_10-56-14.png
    ????? should it be devided like this???
    but then, how would i consider displacement at the node 2?
    upload_2017-2-22_10-49-45.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Proceed in six stages :

(1) Treat the vertical beam initially as just a lever which is applying a bending moment to the horizontal beam at the point where the two join .

(2) Work out the slope of the horizontal beam at the point where the two join .

(3) From that slope work out the displacement of the bottom of the vertical beam using geometry .

(4) Now treat the vertical beam as a cantilever fixed at the top to some fictional rigid structure .

(5) Work out the deflection caused by the load applied at the bottom end .

(6) Add the deflection from (3) to the deflection from (5) to get the total deflection .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Feb 22, 2017 #3
    ok. I understand, however I have a question how to get the slope of the horizontal beam. Can I devide this beam into 4 elements like this: upload_2017-2-22_11-29-15.png

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use superposition for this simple problem .

Work out the slope due to the distributed load and to the lever moment separately and add them together . Pay attention to signs when doing this .

6. Feb 22, 2017 #5
    I guess I made some wrong superposition assumptions considering case 3,4. Could u please tell me, what kind of assumptions should i do to get the final displacement in this middle node. This task has to be solved using superposition of forces
    upload_2017-2-22_12-21-29.png

7. Feb 22, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your M as shown in top diagram is turning the wrong way .

You need to work out the slope at the joining point not the vertical deflection .

8. Feb 22, 2017 #7
    Yes. I agree. On the top diagram it is just the exaple of how forces work in case of my beam. In case 2 i take the moment with correct sign.
    i will try to find the formulas for calculating the change of the slope depending on the position of x. cause i need it for my case 3, where i want to calculate the angle in the middle of the beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted