1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement, Velocity and Acceleration

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    If a bullet that leaves the muzzle of a gun at 260 m/s is to hit a target 102 m away at the level of the muzzle (1.6 m above level ground), the gun must be aimed at a point above the target. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.)

2. Relevant equations
    I just need help with understanding the question. I know that the height for y is 1.6 at the starting point, but how do i know how tall the target is?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are told that the target is at the same level as the gun.

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    I think your problem isn't advanced, better you've posted it at "introductory physics"!

And where is your attempt (think about that the trajectory of the bullet is a parabola)?

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    We also have no idea what you're solving for. I highly doubt they would ask you how tall the target is, since that's given in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook