Displacement, Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, to hit a target 102 m away at the same level as the gun, the gun must be aimed above the target due to the bullet's trajectory being a parabola. The target's height is not necessary to know for this problem.
iissungmin
If a bullet that leaves the muzzle of a gun at 260 m/s is to hit a target 102 m away at the level of the muzzle (1.6 m above level ground), the gun must be aimed at a point above the target. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.)

Homework Equations

I just need help with understanding the question. I know that the height for y is 1.6 at the starting point, but how do i know how tall the target is?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
iissungmin said:
I know that the height for y is 1.6 at the starting point, but how do i know how tall the target is?
You are told that the target is at the same level as the gun.

I think your problem isn't advanced, better you've posted it at "introductory physics"!

And where is your attempt (think about that the trajectory of the bullet is a parabola)?

We also have no idea what you're solving for. I highly doubt they would ask you how tall the target is, since that's given in the equation.

1. What is displacement and how is it different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It takes into account the direction of the motion. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled by an object. It does not consider the direction of the motion.

2. How is velocity related to displacement?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion. It is directly related to displacement as it measures the change in position over a specific time interval.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. It gives an overall idea of an object's motion. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by finding the slope of the displacement-time graph at that point.

4. How can acceleration be calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by finding the slope of the velocity-time graph.

5. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing in the positive direction over time. This means that the object is speeding up. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing in the positive direction over time. This means that the object is slowing down.