Displacement vs time graph for a given equation of acceleration

In summary, the correct expression for the acceleration a of the particle is option D, as mentioned in the given solution. However, when integrating to find the velocity v, a possible fault could be assuming that c is positive, which would result in one of the roots of qt^2-2pt-2c=0 becoming negative, which is not realistic according to the given graph. To determine the real fault, the sign of v at t=0 needs to be considered.
dk_ch

Homework Statement

The accompanying graph of position x versus time t represents the motion of a particle. If p and q are both
positive constants, the expression that best describes the acceleration a of the particle is
x vs t.png

Homework Equations

(A) a = – - p – - qt (B) a = - –p + qt (C) a = p + qt (D) a = p – - qt

The Attempt at a Solution

option D is mentioned correct in a given solution of the problem. If it is correct then dv/dt = p - qt on itegration will give v = pt -0.5qt^2 +c., for inflexion pts on x-t curve v =0 ,this gives qt^2-2pt-2c=0 , one of the two roots of which becoming negative, which is not realistic with the given graph. I need help to know the real fault made by me.

Physics news on Phys.org
dk_ch said:
for inflexion pts on x-t curve v =0 ,
You mean extremum pts, right?
this gives qt^2-2pt-2c=0 , one of the two roots of which becoming negative, which is not realistic with the given graph. I need help to know the real fault made by me.
You are assuming c is positive? What is the sign of v at t=0?

What is a displacement vs time graph?

A displacement vs time graph is a graphical representation of the change in position of an object over a period of time. It shows how the position of an object changes as time passes.

How is acceleration represented on a displacement vs time graph?

Acceleration is represented by the slope of the displacement vs time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

What does a straight line on a displacement vs time graph indicate?

A straight line on a displacement vs time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating, but moving at a steady speed.

What does a curved line on a displacement vs time graph indicate?

A curved line on a displacement vs time graph indicates that the object is accelerating. The shape of the curve can also provide information about the magnitude and direction of the acceleration.

How can I determine the displacement of an object from a displacement vs time graph?

The displacement of an object can be determined by calculating the area under the curve on a displacement vs time graph. This can be done by dividing the area into smaller, simpler shapes and using their respective formulas to calculate the total area.