Displaying mathematical expressions/equations/arguements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a web forum for seeking advice and help, particularly for mathematical expressions and equations. The individual is looking for a program that allows for data input in conventional formats, such as placing the exponent on the upper right side or using radicals. They also mention experimenting with icons at the top of the message field, but find them to be minimal. They suggest using LaTeX, providing a tutorial and example equations. Additionally, they mention that the forum may not recognize certain delimiters for math mode.
brusier
I can see myself utilizing this web forum from time to time to seek advice, opinions, help etc.

Some of this may come in the form of mathemetical expressions or equations.

Is there a good program that allows for data input for mathematical expressions in the conventional format e.g. indicating X^2 by actually placing the 2 on the upper right side of the X. Or, by indicating the sq rt of a value by writing a radical over the expression.

I noticed the icons at the top of the message field and am experimenting with them, but they seem minimal.

X2

anyway, I'm just trying to find a way to easily (relatively) and clearly indicate mathematical expressions and arguements.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/ltxprimer-1.0.pdf

Or just google latex tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX a tutorial that focuses on typing mathematics

You can skip the parts under download and basics and go right to math if you just need to use it on the forum. Note that this forum doesn't recognize $ as a delimiter to start math mode, you'll have to use the "tex" tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
The solution to
\[
\sqrt{x} = 5
\]
is
\[
x=25.
\]
\end{document}

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\begin{align*}
2x^2 + 3(x-1)(x-2) & = 2x^2 + 3(x^2-3x+2)\\
&= 2x^2 + 3x^2 - 9x + 6\\
&= 5x^2 - 9x + 6
\end{align*}
\end{document}

1. How do I properly display mathematical equations in my research paper?

To properly display mathematical equations in your research paper, it is important to follow the formatting guidelines of the specific journal or publication you are submitting to. In general, equations should be centered and numbered for easy reference. Use mathematical symbols and notation correctly and consistently throughout your paper. If necessary, consult a style guide or ask your editor for specific instructions.

2. Can I use special characters or symbols in my mathematical equations?

Yes, special characters and symbols are commonly used in mathematical equations. However, it is important to use them correctly and consistently. For example, use the symbol "π" for pi instead of spelling it out as "pi". Also, make sure to clearly define any symbols or notation that may be unfamiliar to your readers.

3. How do I align multiple equations in a row?

In order to align multiple equations in a row, you can use the align environment in LaTeX or the align* environment in Microsoft Word's equation editor. This will allow you to align equations using the "&" symbol and separate them with line breaks. Be sure to use proper spacing and indentation for clarity.

4. Is there a preferred method for numbering equations?

There is no one preferred method for numbering equations, as it may vary depending on the style or guidelines of the publication you are submitting to. However, it is important to be consistent with your numbering throughout the paper. Some common methods include numbering equations consecutively throughout the paper or numbering them based on their section or subsection.

5. How should I format equations with multiple lines or steps?

In order to format equations with multiple lines or steps, you can use the align environment in LaTeX or the align* environment in Microsoft Word's equation editor. Use the "&" symbol to align the equations and use the "\\" symbol for line breaks. Additionally, you can use parentheses or brackets to group equations or steps together for clarity.