1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between 2 points on a projectile's path

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This doesn't seem like much more than a kinematics problem but it's for an upper division mechanics course so I chose to post it here. Feel free to move to intro if necessary.

i6psz.jpg

2. Relevant equations

kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I focused only on the vertical component to find the speed at point 1:

V2=Vy2 -2gh

V=√(Vy2 -2gh)

Now I found the time it takes to get from point 1 to the top of the path:

0 = √(Vy2 -2gh) -gt

t = √(Vy2 -2gh) /g

To get from the top to point 2 would take the same amount of time so the total time to get from point 1 to 2 is 2*√(
    Vy2 -2gh) /g

Since there's no acceleration in the x direction the distance between the two points is

2Vx*√(Vy2 -2gh) /g

I think this is the correct answer, however I can't get it to match the given solution. Furthermore even if this is correct it seems like it would take a lot of algebra to match the given solution, leading me to believe another approach was taken. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2
    There was another condition: the distance traveled must be maximized. That means a particular condition on Vx and Vy. Get it, then plug into your equation.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    As in theta should be 45 degrees?

EDIT: This would mean the horizontal and vertical components are initially equal making the equations match. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Try looking at it this way:

You're probably effectively solving the quadratic equation y=h. The distance between the two solutions is going to be twice the discriminant appearing in your quadratic formula.

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Express Vx & Vy in terms of V0. (Use the information in the problem statement.)

Edit: voko beat me to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook