Distance from cartesian coordinates and im going wring somewhere.

In summary, \sqrt{9+36} = 3\sqrt{5} because 6.708 is only an approximation and the square root notation provides an exact answer. The formula for finding the length between two points can be derived from pythagoras' theorem.
EMFsmith
Why is

[tex]\sqrt{9+36}[/tex]
= [tex]3\sqrt{5}[/tex]

and not 6.708 ?

I wasnt interested in maths at school but now I'm trying to self teach, so pardon my ignorance.

Edit: Ok i feel foolish now, no need to correct me as I've just worked out i WAS correct. I'm still unsure as to why it would be shown like this though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EMFsmith said:
Edit: Ok i feel foolish now, no need to correct me as I've just worked out i WAS correct. I'm still unsure as to why it would be shown like this though.

6.708 is only an approximation, whereas [itex]3\sqrt{5}[/itex] is exact. If you put [itex]3\sqrt{5}[/itex] into a calculator you will see that it does not stop after three decimal places. For some calculations where maximum accuracy is required, it may be inappropriate to round, in which case the square root notation should be used.

danago said:
6.708 is only an approximation, whereas [itex]3\sqrt{5}[/itex] is exact. If you put [itex]3\sqrt{5}[/itex] into a calculator you will see that it does not stop after three decimal places. For some calculations where maximum accuracy is required, it may be inappropriate to round, in which case the square root notation should be used.

Thats great thanks, I'm struggling to remember how to work out the square root notation instead of a decimal?

EMFsmith said:
Thats great thanks, I'm struggling to remember how to work out the square root notation instead of a decimal?

[tex]\sqrt{9+36}=\sqrt{45}=\sqrt{9\times 5}=\sqrt{9}\times \sqrt{5}=3\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Hopefully that helps

danago said:
[tex]\sqrt{9+36}=\sqrt{45}=\sqrt{9\times 5}=\sqrt{9}\times \sqrt{5}=3\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Hopefully that helps

Yeah that's great thanks!

EMFsmith said:
[tex]\sqrt{9+36}[/tex]
= [tex]3\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Let me guess, the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle with sides 3 and 6? :wink:

Mentallic said:
Let me guess, the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle with sides 3 and 6? :wink:

Could well be the lenghts of the other 2 sides, I was going from the question

P(-2,3) Q(1,-3)

Find the length between the 2 points.

First attempt at this so the advice has been really useful, sometimes textbooks just don't do it for me.

EMFsmith said:
Could well be the lenghts of the other 2 sides, I was going from the question

P(-2,3) Q(1,-3)

Find the length between the 2 points.

First attempt at this so the advice has been really useful, sometimes textbooks just don't do it for me.

The formula you used was derived from pythagoras' theorem. If you draw a right-angled triangle with the hypotenuse being PQ then you'll see it's a right-angled triangle with side lengths 3 and 6.

1. What are cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a mathematical system used to locate points in a plane or in space. They are based on two perpendicular lines, the x-axis and the y-axis, and a point's position is determined by its distance from these lines.

2. How do you find the distance between two points using cartesian coordinates?

To find the distance between two points using cartesian coordinates, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the difference in the x and y values of the two points, squaring them, and then taking the square root of the sum of these squared values.

3. Can cartesian coordinates be used to measure distance in three-dimensional space?

Yes, cartesian coordinates can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding a z-axis. This allows for the measurement of distance in all three dimensions.

4. What happens if I make a mistake in my cartesian coordinates calculations?

If you make a mistake in your cartesian coordinates calculations, you may end up with an incorrect distance measurement. It is important to double-check your work and correct any errors to ensure accurate results.

5. Are cartesian coordinates the only way to measure distance?

No, there are other coordinate systems that can be used to measure distance, such as polar coordinates or spherical coordinates. The choice of coordinate system depends on the specific application and the shape of the object being measured.