1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from one focus to the other

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    Am I making this out to be too simple?

I am given: The Sun's center is at one focus of Earth's orbit, how far from this focus is the other focus in meters and in terms of the solar radius?

semimajor axis=a=1.5*10^11 meters.
    solar radius=R=6.96 *10^8 meters

Now if c is the distance from the focus to the center of the ellipse,

e=c/a implies c=ea.

So the foci should just be 2ea meters apart...for which I am getting 5.01^9 meters. Which seems reasonable (I think:uhh:)

Now I am having trouble with the latter part of the problem. I know it is just some sort of ratio. The text says 7.2 solar radii but does not give the answer in meters, so I cannot confirm that either.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2
    AGAIN I AM A JERK!! I got it.

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, to find the ratio of the distance between foci to the "solar radius", you will need to know the solar radius! I take it that is the radius of the sun?
  5. Sep 15, 2007 #4
    Yes. I listed that in post #1. I figured it out, For some reason I was dividing wrong i.e, i had it inverted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?