The ratio of the distance of the focus and the point

In summary, the problem statement is asking for the ratio of the distance of point B to the distance of the focus from the center of curvature. The ray of light is incident on a concave mirror and its height from principle axis is equal to the focal length of the mirror. The ratio of the distance of point B to the distance of the focus from the center of curvature is (AB is the reflected ray).
sylwesh98
1. The problem statement: A ray of light is incident on a concave mirror. It is parallel to the principle axis and its height from principle axis is equal to the focal length of the mirror. the ratio of the distance of point B to the distance of the focus from the center of curvature is( AB is the reflected ray)
A)2/√3 B)√3/2 C)2/3 D)1/2

2. Answer to this problem give is: A

The Attempt at a Solution

: the ray of light is parallel to principle axis so it should pass through the focus. the point of the focus and the point of intersection of the ray and the focus are same. so i thought the answer is 1.
Have I done anything wrong?[/B]

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 788
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the relevant equations for a concave mirror ?

radius of curvature is twice that of focal length..

So the drawing should not be showing an R where it is drawn now. That's confusing.
What are A and B ?

BvU said:
So the drawing should not be showing an R where it is drawn now. That's confusing.
What are A and B ?
Here that's not R sorry for that .
That's B and the ray that is reflected from the concave mirror is AB

Good. Now re-read your first post and explain what ratio is asked for, because it's not really clear what is meant with
the ratio of the distance of point B to the distance of the focus from the center of curvature

Likes sylwesh98
the ratio = the distance of point b from radius of curvature / the distance from focus to radius of curvature

Well, maybe I have to come back on my "Good" in post #6. As you describe it, B = F and the ratio is 1.

Since the answer is given, and it's ##1/{1\over 2}\sqrt 3## I start to suspect that B is not F. Could it be that B is the x-axis coordinate of the point where the beam is reflected on the mirror ?

[edit] oops... see bold faced.

Last edited:
BvU said:
the x-axis coordinate of the point where the beam is reflected on the mirror
B is the point on the principle axis where the reflected ray intersects with the principle axis. A is the point where the ray touches the mirror. (sorry I forgot to mention that point).

is there any relation , if the distance between the ray and principle axis is f? i mean will the ray pass through the focus if the distance between the principle axis and the ray is f, even though the ray is parallel to the axis.

That's the idea of the thin lens / mirror rays: what comes in through the focus goes out parallel and vice versa.

My picture so far is (for the B = F)

mirror.jpg

And the one I like is the ? one ...

yah! but the question given is the same as I've mentioned ! i really don't know what he meant to find?

? / AR = 2/sqrt(3)

thanks for the help! It does mean that i understood the question in a wrong way

1. What is the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point?

The ratio of the distance of the focus and the point is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two points in a geometric figure. It is typically calculated as the distance between the focus and the point divided by the distance between the focus and the directrix. This ratio is often used in the study of conic sections, such as ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. How is the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point used in real-life applications?

The ratio of the distance of the focus and the point has various real-life applications, including in optics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, it is used in the design of satellite dishes and telescopes to determine the focal length and focus point. It is also used in the construction of parabolic mirrors for solar energy collection.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point in mathematics?

The ratio of the distance of the focus and the point is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in the study of conic sections and geometric figures. It allows for the analysis and classification of different types of curves, and it is also used in the derivation of various mathematical equations and formulas.

4. How does the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point change for different types of conic sections?

The ratio of the distance of the focus and the point varies for different types of conic sections. For an ellipse, the ratio is always less than 1, for a parabola it is equal to 1, and for a hyperbola it is always greater than 1. This ratio also changes depending on the eccentricity of the conic section, with a higher eccentricity resulting in a larger ratio.

5. Can the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point be negative?

No, the ratio of the distance of the focus and the point cannot be negative. This is because both the distance between the focus and the point and the distance between the focus and the directrix are always positive values. Therefore, the ratio will always be a positive number or zero if the point lies on the directrix.