1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from one period to the next, ##e## in helical path.

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A source injects an electron of speed ##v## into a uniform magnetic field of magnitude ##B##. The velocity of the electron makes an angle ##\theta## with the direction of the magnetic field. Find the distance ##d## from the point of injection at which the electron next crosses the field that passes through the injection point.

2. Relevant equations
    ##F_B=m\frac{v^2}{r}##
    ##T=\frac{2\pi r}{v}##

3. The attempt at a solution

We want to find how much vertical displacement there is in one period essentially. To find ##T## in terms on known quantities:

$$
    F_B=q(v\times B)=qvB\sin\theta=\frac{v^2}{r}\Longrightarrow r=\frac{mv}{qB\sin\theta} \\
    T=\frac{2\pi r}{v}=\frac{2\pi m}{qB\sin\theta}
    $$

Now the vertical displacement would be given by ##v\cdot\cos\theta## multiplied by the time (period in this case) Therefore:
    $$
    d=v\cos\theta\cdot \frac{2\pi m}{qB\sin\theta}=\frac{2\pi m v \mbox{ cotan }\theta}{qB}
    $$

In my solution manual however they have completely neglected ##F_B=q(v\times B)## and just used the result for when ##\theta=90## (##F_B=qvB##), in the textbook the angle given is not equal to 90 so this isn't the case. Is there something I'm missing here or did they solve it incorrectly?

Edit: Some errors in my derivation:

$$F_B=qvB\sin\theta=m\frac{v^2}{r}$$

the velocity ##v^2/r## in this term is the velocity that is perpendicular to the force so it becomes: ##qvB\sin\theta=m\frac{(v\sin\theta)^2}{r}## This solves the problem.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Closed: resolved by OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook