1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance traveled and hang time for 2D projectile

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cannon is fired at an angle of 42 degrees, the cannon ball travels 8.9 meters in the x direction. Its hang time is 1.5 seconds. The cannon site .43 meters above the ground on a stand. If this same cannon was fired at 35 degrees, what would the hang time and the distance traveled be?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use velocity vectors and find the speed at which the cannon ball was fired, muzzle velocity, using A^2+B^2=C^2. Giving me a velocity of 8.85m/s, using this I attempted to use sine and cosine to find the velocitys in the x and y direction. I am stuck here.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Must be something I'm not understanding. There seems to be too much information, and it conflicts. From the hang time (= time in the air, yes?) and the horizontal distance I can calculate horizontal speed. From that and the launch angle I can compute vertical speed at muzzle. From that, the hang time, and taking g=9.81 m/s2 I compute that the cannonball lands 3.02 m below the level of the muzzle, but we're told the cannon is only .43 m above the ground.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree...

Vx = 8.9/1.5 = 5.933 m/s
    Then..
    Vx = V Cos(42)
    V = 7.984 m/s

Vy = V Sin(42)
    = 5.342 m/s

Vertically
    S=ut-0.5at2
    S=5.342 * 1.5 - 0.5*9.8*1.52

= 8.013 - 11.025
    =-3m

So it does appear to land 3m below the cannon. So perhaps the ground isn't flat?

Perhaps an error in the height of the cannon?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook