Distance traveled by projectile

In summary: Like m/s can be broken down into m (for distance) and s (for time). See if you can do that for each of the units you listed and then we can see which ones cancel out.In summary, we discussed a projectile with a mass of 120g accelerating at 9186.05 m/s/s for 0.129 seconds to a velocity of 12150 m/s. Taking into account a 20% drop in velocity due to aerodynamics and friction, the projectile reaches a final velocity of 9750 m/s. Using the equation d=vt+1/2at^2, we calculated the distance traveled in 0.129 seconds to be approximately 2351.025 meters. However, there
tristan401

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a projectile of 120g.
Suppose that projectile is accelerating at 9186.05 m/s/s for 0.129 seconds, to a velocity of 12150 m/s.
Factoring in a 20% drop in Velocity from aerodynamics and friction, it accelerates to roughly 9750 m/s.

What distance did the projectile travel in the 0.129 seconds that it was accelerating? Please provide relevant units of measurement.

Homework Equations

d=vt+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged everything into the above equation, but I don't feel like it is a realistic value, and I'm not sure of what unit is used (m, km, cm, etc...)

Physics news on Phys.org
What value did you get?

100g acceleration is huge!

When I plugged everything into the equation, it looked like:
d = (12150)(0.129) + 1/2(94186.05)(0.129)^2
which resulted in 2351.025
I don't know if that's cm or m or km, but that's the number that came out out of the equation

Try doing it again but this time show all the units explicitly.

d = (12150 m/s) (0.129 s) + 1/2 (94186 m/s/s) (0.129 s)^2

Ok, can you see which units might cancel with each other?

I don't think I do :(

Well that's alright. In your equation, what are all the units you are dealing with? Just list them all...

Velocity - m/s
Acceleration - m/s^2
Time - s
distance - ?

Ok, but each of these can be broken down further into their basic dimensional units also.

1. What is the definition of distance traveled by a projectile?

The distance traveled by a projectile is the total length traveled by an object in motion, from its initial starting point to its final landing point.

2. How is the distance traveled by a projectile calculated?

The distance traveled by a projectile can be calculated using the equation: distance = initial velocity x time + (1/2) x acceleration x time^2. This takes into account the initial velocity of the projectile, the time it is in motion, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the distance traveled by a projectile?

The angle of launch can greatly affect the distance traveled by a projectile. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a lower angle will result in a shorter distance. The optimum angle for maximum distance depends on the initial velocity and acceleration of the projectile.

4. What are some factors that can affect the distance traveled by a projectile?

Some factors that can affect the distance traveled by a projectile include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and external forces such as wind or gravity. The mass and shape of the projectile can also have an impact on its distance traveled.

5. Can the distance traveled by a projectile be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the distance traveled by a projectile can be greater than the initial velocity. This is due to the influence of gravity, which can cause the projectile to continue moving forward even after its initial velocity has decreased. However, the angle of launch and other factors can also affect the final distance traveled.