Distance travelled by wave at whichamplitude decreases

• Thread starter indie452
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discussed a question regarding a boundary between two dielectrics with different refractive indices. It was determined that the component of the wave vector parallel to the boundary is equal to ky = k2*(n1/n2)*sin(I) if the incident angle I is greater than the critical angle C. It was also proven that if the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, the component of the wave vector in the second dielectric, kx, is purely imaginary. The group then attempted to calculate the depth in the second dielectric at which the electric field amplitude decreases by a factor of exp(-5). It was mentioned in lectures that the absorption length can be calculated as c/(ni*w), but it
indie452
okay so the question involves a boundary between 2 dielectrics.
one with n1=1.5 the other n2=1.4
incident angle of wave I= 80deg
critical angle i found to be C= 69deg
given wavelength in air is 700nm

1) prove component of wave vector parallel to boundary is = ky = k2*(n1/n2)*sin(I)
...this i have done
2)Prove that if the wave incident angle I>C then kx in the second dielectric is purely imaginary...this i have done

3)If I=80deg calculate the depth in the second dielectric at which the amplitude of the electric field has fallen by a factor of exp(-5) from its surface value
...THIS I HAVE NOT DONE

i was told in lectures that if a wave has an absorption coeff = (ni*w)/c then the, the absorption length is = c/(ni*w) but i don't know what to do from here

Physics news on Phys.org

ok so I've tried this:

E=Eo*exp[i(wt-kz)]
=Eo*exp[i(wt-krz)]exp[-kiz)] - shows amp falls by exp[-1]

so
=Eo*exp[i(wt-krz)]exp[-5kiz)] - shows amp falls by exp[-5]

therefore absorption coeff = 5ki
absorption length = 1/5ki = c/5niw

ki = niw/c
w = 2pi*c/n2L...L = wavelength = 700nm

so absorption length = n2L/ni10pi = 3.1194x10-8/ni

but how do i find ni and is this right anyway?

1. How is the distance travelled by a wave related to its amplitude?

The distance travelled by a wave is directly proportional to its amplitude. This means that as the distance increases, the amplitude decreases and vice versa.

2. What factors affect the distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases?

The distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases can be affected by the medium through which it travels, the frequency of the wave, and any obstacles or interference it encounters.

3. Is the decrease in amplitude consistent throughout the entire distance travelled by the wave?

No, the decrease in amplitude is not consistent throughout the entire distance travelled by the wave. It follows an exponential decay pattern, meaning that the amplitude decreases more rapidly at first and then levels off as the distance increases.

4. How does the distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases relate to the wavelength?

The distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases is equal to one wavelength. This means that as the distance increases by one wavelength, the amplitude decreases by a factor of 2π.

5. Can the distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases be calculated?

Yes, the distance travelled by a wave at which its amplitude decreases can be calculated using the formula d = λ/2π, where d is the distance travelled and λ is the wavelength. This formula assumes that the wave is travelling through a uniform medium and is not affected by any obstacles or interference.