1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snell's Law HELP TEST TOMMOROW

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    Snell's Law HELP!! TEST TOMMOROW!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I have a problem with Snell's Law...i understand that it is:
    n1(sin)theta1 = n2(sin)theta2

but for the test, we need to know how to manipulate the problem to find the angle of refraction...i will have a calculator to plug thing in but i just don't understand how to!!! Apparently after you find one thing you need to use an inverse sin (sin-1) or something...PLEASE HELP!!!

An example problem for this is:
    A Beam of light passes from glass (n=1.51) to an unknown medium X (nX=?).
    If the angle of incidence is 40 and the angle of refraction is 29 then the index of refraction of the unknown medium is closest to:
    a)1.17, b)1.38, c)1.63, d)1.83 or e)2.00

Followed by: The beam of light exists medium X and enters air. If it has an incident angle of 29 at the X-Air boundary, find the angle of refranction in the air?

3. The attempt at a solution
    for example my notes say: Nw(sin)theta W = Na(sin)theata A
    w=water=1.333
    a=air=1
    1.333(sin)theta W=1 x sin(37)(angle of incidence)
    sin thetaW=sin(37)/1.333
    Theta W= (sin -1)/(inverse sin) [sin(37)/1.333]

WHY IS IT GO FROM SIN(theta W) TO INVERSE SIN!?

I Know there is a lot fo questions and info here...these are questoins from a quiz i did and i did very poorly...my test is tommorow and help would be greatly appretiated THANKS SOOO MUCH!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

To explain the inverse trig function part:

Starting with this line of your example:

sin(theta_w)=(sin37/1.333)

The sin^-1 (or inverse sin, also called arcsin) is just a function that you use to "undo" the sin(theta_w) to get just theta_w. You apply it to both sides of your equation like you would anything else when trying to isolate a variable. So you would have

sin^-1{sin(theta_w)} = sin^-1{sin37/1.333}

the left side then becomes just theta_w, and by calculating the right side you get the angle of refraction.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    ooooo thanks so much....the test was still REALLY hard but what can you do...thanks a ton i appreatiate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?