Distance travelled of block, friction, forces

In summary, the question asks to find the distance a 1kg block, with a coefficient of static friction of .5, can travel when a 7N force is applied to it. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .3 and the force will be applied until the block comes to a stop. Using kinematics equations, it is possible to find the distance traveled by the block. However, the question needs to be clearer in terms of the duration of the applied force.
johnnnnyyy

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1kg has a coefficient of static friction of .5. If a 7N force is applied to the block what distance can the block travel? Coefficient of kinetic friction is .3

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the static frictional force to be (.5)(9.8)(1)=4.9N so the Fnet of the initial force applied is 2.1N. However I do not know how to find the distance the block traveled from there? Anybody know how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the Coefficient of kinetic friction.Thats what you need here.

adjacent said:
You know the Coefficient of kinetic friction.Thats what you need here.

I know that I need to use kinetic friction but I don't how to use it with what I am giving. I think I might need to find velocity but how could I find that?

(you may redefine the question with "If a 7N force is applied to the block what distance can the block travel?,Until coming to a stop.
I think your question needs to be a bit clear.

Last edited:
adjacent said:
Find the kinetic frictional force and using F=ma,find the deceleration of the block when it is initially traveling with a constant force.(you may redefine the question with "If a 7N force is applied to the block what distance can the block travel?,Until coming to a stop.

Note:you may also need the kinematics equations
V=u+at
s=1/2(u+a)t2
s=ut+1/2at
v2=u2+2as

Using V^2=u^2+2as, I know that V will be 0, a will be 2.94 and s is the distance which am trying to find, I just don't know how to find u.

Make your question clear.A Force of 7N is applied for how many seconds?If we keep applying it forever,it won't stop moving at all.

As adjacent implies (now) the question makes no sense as it stands. In the absence of further information, there is no limit on how far it can travel.

What is the formula for calculating the distance travelled by a block?

The formula for calculating distance travelled by a block is distance = initial velocity * time + (1/2)(acceleration)(time^2). This formula is known as the kinematic equation for displacement.

How does friction affect the distance travelled by a block?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease the distance travelled by a block. As the block moves, it has to overcome the frictional force, which results in some of its kinetic energy being converted to heat. This reduces the block's speed and therefore decreases the distance it travels.

What are the different types of forces acting on a block?

The different types of forces acting on a block include applied force, normal force, gravitational force, and frictional force. Applied force is the force applied by an external source, such as a person pushing the block. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, such as the ground pushing back on the block. Gravitational force is the force due to gravity, which pulls objects towards the center of the earth. Frictional force is the force that opposes motion, as mentioned before.

How does the mass of a block affect the distance it travels?

The mass of a block does not directly affect the distance it travels. However, it does affect the block's inertia, which is its resistance to changes in motion. A larger mass means a greater inertia, so it would require more force to move the block and therefore affect the distance travelled.

What factors affect the frictional force on a block?

The factors that affect the frictional force on a block include the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the surface materials in contact. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces in contact are. A rougher surface will result in a higher frictional force. The normal force, as mentioned before, is the force exerted by the surface on the block. The greater the normal force, the greater the frictional force. Finally, the materials in contact can also affect the frictional force, as some surfaces have more friction than others.