1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance travelled of block, friction, forces

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass 1kg has a coefficient of static friction of .5. If a 7N force is applied to the block what distance can the block travel? Coefficient of kinetic friction is .3

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the static frictional force to be (.5)(9.8)(1)=4.9N so the Fnet of the initial force applied is 2.1N. However I do not know how to find the distance the block travelled from there? Anybody know how to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

You know the Coefficient of kinetic friction.Thats what you need here.

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3
    I know that I need to use kinetic friction but I don't how to use it with what I am giving. I think I might need to find velocity but how could I find that?

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

(you may redefine the question with "If a 7N force is applied to the block what distance can the block travel?,Until coming to a stop.
    I think your question needs to be a bit clear.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. Nov 11, 2013 #5
    Using V^2=u^2+2as, I know that V will be 0, a will be 2.94 and s is the distance which am trying to find, I just don't know how to find u.

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6

adjacent

Gold Member

Make your question clear.A Force of 7N is applied for how many seconds?If we keep applying it forever,it won't stop moving at all.

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As adjacent implies (now) the question makes no sense as it stands. In the absence of further information, there is no limit on how far it can travel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted