1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distinguishing between different waves.

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    Hi thank you for your time to read my inquiry.

[​IMG]

The question was (need to refer to the attached image file),
    a) Examine the graphs. Is the wave transverse, torsional, or longitudinal?
    Justify your answer.
    b) What are two indications that the wave could be a sound wave?

I can distinguish between the transverse, torsional and longitudinal waves,
    when they are expressed in animation, however when they are expressed in sin graph,
    I get stuck in the problem. For the fact that all 3 types of waves can be expressed into sin graph
    what are some things that I should know when looking at the graph before comparing them?

Any tip would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think the main clue would have to be what is being plotted on the vertical axis. What is it? And based on what you know about the three different types of waves, which would you say these are?

4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    a longitudinal wave because the vertical axis of the sine graph is measured in Pa?

5. Oct 1, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That would be my answer as well. And it should help you with the "sound" part of the question.

6. Oct 1, 2007 #5
    Thank you very much
    and for the sound part, what would you say for my answer?

i. Sound wave is one of the most common types of longitudinal wave.
    ii. Sound waves traveling through air are longitudinal wave.
    iii. Particles being transported vibrate parallel to the direction which the sound wave moves.

I have 3 answers figured out in my head, but I'm not sure which one to exclude lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?