Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distorted grid effect in photo of LCD screen

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    What causes this effect? What am I seeing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi jreelawg! :smile:

Are you refering to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or possibly the refresh pattern. Can you post the picture that you are asking about, jreelawg?

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    This was a photo of my computer's LCD screen, of this symbol, with an all white background. I noticed the effect, and I made drastic adjustments to the contrast, sharpness, saturation, tint, temperature etc.

Attached Files:

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5
    Here is what it looked like before adjusting the picture.

Attached Files:

7. Aug 5, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep. Moiré.

8. Aug 5, 2011 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You get moiree patterns all over the place where there are two regular patterns of similar spatial frequency. I frequently risk driving off the road when going under foot bridges where the railings on either side produce a moiree pattern which seems to 'march' over the bridge. In imaging systems, the moiree is a result of sampling at too low a frequency, (spatial sub-sampling)which produces beat patterns. Every image sensor has a built in 'blurring' filter, to reduce the effect but it cannot be too savage or normal pictures would look too soft. You might notice that your effect goes away when you defocus slightly. (If your camera will allow it).

Wagon wheels going backwards in cowboy films are an example of temporal subsampling - same basic theory.

9. Aug 5, 2011 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm seeing both a moire pattern and the actual grid of the LCD screen.....you do know an LCD screen is a grid of multi-colored dots, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook