Distorted grid effect in photo of LCD screen

In summary, the conversation discussed the causes of a moire effect seen on a photo of a computer's LCD screen. It was explained that the effect is caused by two regular patterns of similar spatial frequency, and that it can be reduced by defocusing or using a built-in blurring filter. The conversation also mentioned how moire patterns can occur in other scenarios, such as in cowboy films with wagon wheels. The participant also pointed out the grid of colored dots on an LCD screen.
jreelawg
What causes this effect? What am I seeing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi jreelawg! :smile:

Are you referring to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or possibly the refresh pattern. Can you post the picture that you are asking about, jreelawg?

berkeman said:
Or possibly the refresh pattern. Can you post the picture that you are asking about, jreelawg?

This was a photo of my computer's LCD screen, of this symbol, with an all white background. I noticed the effect, and I made drastic adjustments to the contrast, sharpness, saturation, tint, temperature etc.

Attachments

• DSC03576.JPG
    DSC03576.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 436
Here is what it looked like before adjusting the picture.

Attachments

• DSC03531.jpg
    DSC03531.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 408
Yep. Moiré.

You get moiree patterns all over the place where there are two regular patterns of similar spatial frequency. I frequently risk driving off the road when going under foot bridges where the railings on either side produce a moiree pattern which seems to 'march' over the bridge. In imaging systems, the moiree is a result of sampling at too low a frequency, (spatial sub-sampling)which produces beat patterns. Every image sensor has a built in 'blurring' filter, to reduce the effect but it cannot be too savage or normal pictures would look too soft. You might notice that your effect goes away when you defocus slightly. (If your camera will allow it).

Wagon wheels going backwards in cowboy films are an example of temporal subsampling - same basic theory.

I'm seeing both a moire pattern and the actual grid of the LCD screen...you do know an LCD screen is a grid of multi-colored dots, right?

1. What causes the distorted grid effect in photos of LCD screens?

The distorted grid effect in photos of LCD screens is caused by the interference of the camera's shutter speed and the refresh rate of the LCD screen. As the shutter speed captures a still image, it may capture the screen in the middle of a refresh cycle, resulting in a distorted image.

2. Can the distorted grid effect be fixed?

Yes, the distorted grid effect can be fixed by adjusting the shutter speed of the camera. A slower shutter speed can reduce the interference and result in a clearer image of the LCD screen. Alternatively, using a camera with a higher frame rate can also eliminate the distorted grid effect.

3. Does the type of LCD screen affect the distorted grid effect?

Yes, the type of LCD screen can affect the distorted grid effect. Older LCD screens with lower refresh rates are more likely to produce a distorted grid effect in photos compared to newer LCD screens with higher refresh rates.

4. Is the distorted grid effect harmful to the LCD screen?

No, the distorted grid effect is not harmful to the LCD screen. It is simply a visual effect caused by the interference of the camera and screen refresh rate. It does not affect the functionality or longevity of the LCD screen.

5. Can the distorted grid effect be prevented?

Yes, the distorted grid effect can be prevented by using a camera with a higher frame rate or adjusting the shutter speed. It can also be avoided by taking the photo at a different angle or distance from the LCD screen.