How to identify the contacts of an LCD connector?

• Thread starter PhysicoRaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, DaveLCD panels need a fairly complex analog drive scheme. The output of the driver has multiple voltage levels that need to be cycled in the correct order.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hello all,
I needed a bare LCD screen without the driving circuitry for my project. So I opened up the 16x2 LCD module (https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/ADM1602K-NSW-FBS-3.3v.pdf) and separated the panel from the PCB.
Now I have the panel with the ZEBRA connector hanging from it.

Basically I need access to all the dot matrix pixels at a time, which can be used for various purposes in my project.
How do I know which is the ground contact and which contacts come from the segment drivers (row enable? column enable?) and which of them are active low?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicoRaj said:
How do I know which is the ground contact and which contacts come from the segment drivers (row enable? column enable?) and which of them are active low?

all that info is in the datasheet you provided
pages 8 - 14

I would suggest that you are going to have a VERY difficult time using the panel without its drive

what are you trying to achieve ??Dave

Likes berkeman
LCD panels need a fairly complex analog drive scheme. The output of the driver has multiple voltage levels that need to be cycled in the correct order.

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf

This particular one uses up to 6 different voltages to drive the panel. I would suggest finding a micro-controller with built in LCD drive. Many of the usual manufacturers make them.

As to determining the pinout you will either have to find a datasheet online somewhere for bare glass or examine the one you have. The conductive traces are usually faintly visible.

BoB

Likes berkeman
It's been quite too late but just thought of ending this saying I worked it out with monstrous efforts for the past two months, trialing out different combos of pins for selecting rows and columns.
Ended up using conductive glue for the 'barely visible' contacts!
Anyway it completed my painful 3rd year project. Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

Likes davenn

1. What is an LCD connector?

An LCD connector is a type of electrical connector used to connect the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) panel to the electronic circuitry of a device. It allows for the transfer of data and power between the LCD and the rest of the device.

2. How can I identify an LCD connector?

An LCD connector is typically rectangular in shape and has multiple pins or contacts on one or both sides. It may also have a latch or locking mechanism to secure it in place. The connector may also have a label or marking indicating its purpose.

3. What tools do I need to identify the contacts of an LCD connector?

To identify the contacts of an LCD connector, you may need a magnifying glass or microscope to see the small pins or contacts. You may also need a multimeter to test the continuity and functionality of each contact.

4. How do I determine the pinout of an LCD connector?

The pinout of an LCD connector can usually be found in the device's technical manual or datasheet. If this information is not available, you can use a multimeter to test the continuity of each contact and map out the connections between the LCD panel and the device's circuitry.

5. Can I use any LCD connector as a replacement?

No, it is important to use the correct LCD connector for your device as different connectors may have different pinouts and functions. Using the wrong connector can damage your device or cause it to malfunction.