Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to identify the contacts of an LCD connector?

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Hello all,
    I needed a bare LCD screen without the driving circuitry for my project. So I opened up the 16x2 LCD module (https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/ADM1602K-NSW-FBS-3.3v.pdf) and separated the panel from the PCB.
    Now I have the panel with the ZEBRA connector hanging from it.

Basically I need access to all the dot matrix pixels at a time, which can be used for various purposes in my project.
    How do I know which is the ground contact and which contacts come from the segment drivers (row enable? column enable?) and which of them are active low?

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

all that info is in the datasheet you provided
    pages 8 - 14

I would suggest that you are going to have a VERY difficult time using the panel without its drive

what are you trying to achieve ??

Dave

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

LCD panels need a fairly complex analog drive scheme. The output of the driver has multiple voltage levels that need to be cycled in the correct order.

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf

This particular one uses up to 6 different voltages to drive the panel. I would suggest finding a micro-controller with built in LCD drive. Many of the usual manufacturers make them.

As to determining the pinout you will either have to find a datasheet online somewhere for bare glass or examine the one you have. The conductive traces are usually faintly visible.

BoB

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

It's been quite too late but just thought of ending this saying I worked it out with monstrous efforts for the past two months, trialing out different combos of pins for selecting rows and columns.
    Ended up using conductive glue for the 'barely visible' contacts!
    Anyway it completed my painful 3rd year project. Thanks for your help.
    Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted