Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution/confidence question for dummies

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Binomial distribution/confidence question for dummies

(The 'dummy' would be me.)

I have an event that happens with unknown probability p. Each of n independent events results in k of these events happening. How do I construct a (95%) confidence interval for p?

For small n it's easy to figure this out with numerical combinatorics:

Pr(at most k events) = [tex]\sum_{i=0}^k{n\choose i}p^i(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]
    Pr(at least k events) = [tex]\sum_{i=k}^n{n\choose i}p^i(1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]

and then find the roots of Pr(at most k events) - 0.05 and Pr(at least k events) - 0.05. (Maybe I should use 0.025 instead?)

But for large n (even not all that large!), this is inconvenient. Surely there is some standard statistical method for this? Sticking as close to the roots as possible would be best -- I'd prefer to use as little Central Limit Theorem as I can.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, forget it. Computers are fast, and wasting a few billion cycles isn't going to kill me.

Pari/GP code:
    Code (Text):
    probrange(n,k,confidence=.05)={
        [if(k==0,0,solve(p=0,1,sum(i=k,n,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i))-confidence)),
        if(k==n,1,solve(p=0,1,sum(i=0,k,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i))-confidence))]
    };

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    Re: Binomial distribution/confidence question for dummies

If you want the proper statistical reasoning for using the combinatorial things then look up Neyman Pearson lemma. It tells you that out of all the estimators, the one using the likelihood estimate gives the largest power. I'm afraid without Central Limit or Poisson approximation you can't simplify the computation.

Oo and your values should be 0.025 (so it adds to 0.5 when you do two sided test)

Good luck.

5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The maximum likelihood estimator is k/n -- if I have 10 trials and win at 3, the most likely probability is 30%. That's not hard to figure out.

I'm not actually getting particularly good results with using the normal estimate, so I think I'll have to compute numerically.

I will look up that lemma, though; that might help.

You know, this is where my lack of stats knowledge hurts. It's clear that I should use 0.05, not 0.025, when k = 0. But for k > 0, where I have a choice, I'm not sure what the justification is on choosing left and right errors to be equal. What do you think?

6. Aug 11, 2008 #5

The lemma tells you that the likelihood function is, well, "best" to use.

Confidence intervals always use alpha/2 on each tail. It is analogous (sp?) to two sided hypothesis tests.

7. Aug 11, 2008 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's the revised numerical function I'm using:

Code (Text):
    probrange(n,k,conf=.05)={
        if (k==0, return([0, solve(p=0,1,(1-p)^n-conf)]));
        if (k==n, return([solve(p=0,1,p^n-conf), 1]));

conf = conf/2;
        if(k+k < n,
            [solve(p=0,1,1-conf-sum(i=0,k-1,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i))),
            solve(p=0,1,sum(i=0,k,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i))-conf)],
            [solve(p=0,1,sum(i=k,n,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i))-conf),
            solve(p=0,1,1-conf-sum(i=k+1,n,binomial(n,i)*p^i*(1-p)^(n-i)))]
        )
    };
    addhelp(probrange, "probrange(n,k,conf=.05): Gives a confidence interval for the probability of an event which happens k times in n trials.");
    I'd like to test this against some normal approximations, but I'm having a bit of trouble in Pari -- I don't know how to calculate a normal percentile ([itex]z_{1-\alpha/2}[/itex]). All Pari has built-in is the complementary error function. Is there a better way than numerically solving for the inverse?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?