Distribution of normal force in this problem

In summary: I was able to solve it.The torque equation is:= torque about the y-axis due to the weight of the object times the cosine of the angle between the line of action of the weight and the y-axis.Yes, I was able to solve it.
Rikudo
Homework Statement
A cardboard strip, folded in U shape, is placed on an inclined plane, as shown in the figure. Length of the two parallel sections is n = 1.5 times of the length of the middle section,that is a square. At what minimun angle of inclination theta will the cardboard topple? Friction is sufficient to prevent sliding
Relevant Equations
Torque
It is crystal clear that we need torque equation to solve this. But, in order to do so, I need to know where the normal force is located. As far as I'm concerned, normal force is not distributed equally. If this is true, then I suppose this problem is unsolvable? (Though the book says thay it is possible to solve them)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-14-22-23-40-00.png
    Screenshot_2022-07-14-22-23-40-00.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 68
Physics news on Phys.org
When you have a solid homogenous block on an incline, where do you assign the normal force?

Well, if I assume that the normal force is distributed equally, then the most plausible answer is at the CoM.

But, after I read this site, especially the 2nd paragraph of the answer, I doubt that it is alright to make this assumption.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/356506/distribution-of-normal-force-on-a-book-resting-on-the-edge-of-a-table#:~:text=No, the normal force is,with the conditions for equilibrium.

Here is a part of the statements that I took from it.

"The weight of the book is distributed uniformly because its mass is distributed uniformly, but there is no reason why normal reaction should be distributed uniformly also."

Rikudo said:
But, in order to do so, I need to know where the normal force is located.
No, you do not. All you need to know is where it needs to be located to prevent tipping and whether that is admissable or not.

Likes jbriggs444 and malawi_glenn
Rikudo said:
Well, if I assume that the normal force is distributed equally, then the most plausible answer is at the CoM

Inside the block? Isn't the normal force a contact force between two surfaces?

Anyway, the point I wanted to approach was this: when it flips - where will the normal force be?

Have you done this calculation yet, it is a similar problem.
A homogenous ruler is placed at the edge of a table so that a part of the ruler sticks out. How big mass can you put on the side that sticks out so that the ruler does not tip over?
1657813829651.png

Likes Rikudo and Orodruin
drmalawi said:
where will the normal force be?
At the edge of the block, I guess?

Rikudo said:
At the edge of the block, I guess?
… and therefore…

Ahh! So, we only need to take into account the normal force at the section that is perpendicular to the two others!

The thing is, for there to be torque equilibrium, the net normal force plus friction must act along the same line as the weight. This can only occur if the center of mass is above the region of support. If the com acts along a line outside the region of support, the object will have a net torque and fall over.

Likes Delta2, Lnewqban, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
drmalawi said:
A homogenous ruler is placed at the edge of a table so that a part of the ruler sticks out. How big mass can you put on the side that sticks out so that the ruler does not tip over?
So, when calculating the torque, we only use the weight of the ruler, the weight of the mass, and the normal force at the edge of the table. Am I correct?

Likes malawi_glenn
Could you determine the spatial location of the center of mass of that folded U shape?

Lnewqban said:
Could you determine the spatial location of the center of mass of that folded U shape?
As is often the case, but more particularly with moments of inertia of compound shapes, that's not quite the simplest way.

haruspex said:
As is often the case, but more particularly with moments of inertia of compound shapes, that's not quite the simplest way.
Would you mind explaining your statement a little more, please?

Likes Delta2
Lnewqban said:
Would you mind explaining your statement a little more, please?
Just take the balance of moments of the simple shapes about the tipping axis. Each is a function of the angle.
I find it is rarely worth the bother of finding the mass centre of such an assembly, unless that is the specific aim.

Likes Lnewqban
Rikudo said:
Ahh! So, we only need to take into account the normal force at the section that is perpendicular to the two others!
@Rikudo, were you able to solve this problem?

Lnewqban said:
@Rikudo, were you able to solve this problem?
Yes

• Love
Likes Lnewqban and malawi_glenn

1. What is the normal force in this problem?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In this problem, it refers to the force exerted by the surface on the object due to their contact.

2. How is the normal force distributed in this problem?

The distribution of normal force depends on the geometry of the problem and the forces acting on the object. In general, the normal force is distributed evenly across the contact area between the object and surface.

3. Does the normal force change with the angle of the surface?

Yes, the normal force changes with the angle of the surface. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases and becomes zero when the surface is parallel to the force of gravity.

4. What factors affect the distribution of normal force?

The distribution of normal force is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, the geometry of the problem, and the properties of the surface and object in contact.

5. How can the distribution of normal force be calculated?

The distribution of normal force can be calculated using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. It involves considering all the forces acting on the object and solving for the normal force using the equations of motion.