Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution of the zeros of the zeta function

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    In http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-spectrum-of-riemannium/5, the author mentions that the function P(x) = 1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 seems to be, assuming the Riemann Hypothesis is true, to the two-point correlations of the zeros of the Riemann zeta function. Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_distribution_function, I take that to mean that "it is a measure of the probability of finding a particle at a distance of r away from a given reference particle", whereas a "particle" here would refer to a zero. Since P(x) = 1 for non-zero integers, and if the RH is correct the real part of the non-trivial zeros = ½, this would seem to imply that if y was a non-trivial zero then there exists, for every non-zero integer n, another zero z such that y-z = ± n⋅i . But this sounds wrong. Could someone please point out my error? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you explain how you reached that conclusion?

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the answer, mfb.

For all non-zero integer n, P(n) = 1. That is (if I understand Wiki's explanation), the probability of finding two zeros at a distance of n from one another is a certainty. Since every non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function has the form ½ + r⋅i for some real r, then the distance between any two non-trivial roots y and z would be |y-z| = |(½ + ry⋅i) - (½ + rz⋅i)| = |s⋅i| for the integer s= ry⋅i) - rz.

I know that there are of course better approximations to the zeta function, but my question is specifically about this conclusion, which does not appear correct to me. (Once I understand the first assertion in that Scientific American article, I can proceed to misunderstand the parts about the atomic energy levels, but those questions will be put into another rubric.)

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4
    I have a partial answer: the American Scientist (sorry, above I mis-cited it as coming from Scientific American) article cited above simplified the equation; in reality, it is normalized, as explained in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery's_pair_correlation_conjecture. There it is explained that the equation is really 1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 + δ(x). Alas, the Wiki article does not explicitly explain what δ is. However, it does give an expression for δn, where γn is the nth zero, as (γn+1n) log(γn/2π)/2π; am I correct in assuming that the expression really should be P(n) =1-(sin(πγn)/(πγn))2 + δnn)?
    I am not sure whether using n as the argument of the function P (which I made up, because the Wiki article only states that the expression is equal to "the pair correlation between pairs of zeros") is correct; it is supposed to jive with the Wiki explanation that "Informally, this means that the chance of finding a zero in a very short interval of length 2πL/log(T) at a distance 2πu/log(T) from a zero 1/2+iT is about L times the expression above. [1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 + δ(x)] (The factor 2π/log(T) is a normalization factor that can be thought of informally as the average spacing between zeros with imaginary part about T.)"
    I would be grateful for further guidance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook