1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Div D, div E. What rho is it. (electrostatics)

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I know that the D field has to do with free charges. So when we write Maxwell's equation ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec D = \rho## we mean rho as the free charge density which does not include the bound charges also known as polarized charges.
    I know that the E field has to do with both the free charges and bound charges. However if the region I'm concerned about is an isotropic, linear and homogeneous dielectric then ##\vec D = \varepsilon \vec E## and thus ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = \frac{\rho }{\varepsilon }##.
    Where rho in this case is also the free charge density.
    But I'd have thought that ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = \frac{\rho _\text{free}+ \rho _{\text{bound}}}{\varepsilon }##. I'm guessing this equation is not false, but it's just that the nature of the dielectric makes that ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec P=0## (which is also worth ##-\rho _\text{bound}##). So that means that in an isotropic, linear and homogeneous dielectric there are no bound charges?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Yes you are right, I've just rederived it via ##\vec D = \varepsilon _0 \vec E - \vec P##, taking the divergence.
    Therefore I'm left to see that ##\frac{\rho _\text{free}+ \rho _{\text{bound}}}{\varepsilon _0 } = \frac{\rho _\text{free}}{\varepsilon}##.
    I can already answer a question in my first post, namely "So that means that in an isotropic, linear and homogeneous dielectric there are no bound charges?", the answer is no, because div P is not worth 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook