1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence/Convergence of the series (ln(n))^3/n^3

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the following series converge or diverge? give reasons for your answers.
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex](ln(n))^3/n^3

2. Relevant equations
    Is the direct comparison test appropriate for this question? limit comparison? I have issues with the direct comparison when attempting to compare to the harmonic series, and limit comparison doesn't seem to yield a very simple solution either.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to show that the series above is greater than the series ln(n)/n, which is greater than 1/n, the harmonic series. this is apparently not the case, however, as made evident by my graphing calculator on window -1<x<10 & -2<y<2.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Compare ln(n) and n1/3

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    could you be a little more specific...? im not sure how comparing ((ln(n))^3)/(n^3) to ln(n) or n^1/3 would help...you saying use DCT? LCT? thanks for the reply.

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which grows faster? ln(n) or n1/3?

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    ln(n) grows faster as n->inf...i'm still not seeing how this is pertinent to my problem however. Again, thanks.

7. Oct 19, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to double check that with a calculator. You probably went over in class how the exponential function grows faster than any power function, and the logarithm function grows slower; you might want to review your notes and check (I don't see how this problem is possible without making this observation)

8. Oct 19, 2009 #7
    I stand corrected. n^1/3 does indeed grow faster. How do I relate that fact to the sum of the sequence ((ln(n))^3)/n^3? Ohh....wait, so if i set up the inequality to use in the DCT, 1/n<(ln(n)/n)^3, then cube-root everything, multiply the n from the right side, I end up with n^(2/3)<ln(n)...Is that where you were going with this? in that case, it is a direct comparison with 1/n, proving that (ln(n))^3/n^3 diverges. Correct?

9. Oct 19, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, because your end result n2/3<ln(n) isn't true, so you can't conclude 1/n< ln(n)3/n3

If you know that ln(n)<n1/3 for big n, then ln(n)3<n.

So what is ln(n)3/n3 smaller than? Think of susbtituting something for ln(n)3

10. Oct 19, 2009 #9
    so since ln(n)^3 is less than n, that means that ln(n)^3/n^3 is less than n/n^3, so ln(n)^3/n^3 is less than 1/n^2, which is a convergent series...?

11. Oct 20, 2009 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. Keep in mind when you're wording your answer to be precise:

For large n, ln(n)3<n, so ln(n)3/n3<1/n2, so since convergence is not affected by the leading portions of the series (it doesn't matter what the values of ln(n)3/n3 when n is smaller) by the comparison test the series converges

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook