Divergence of mixed II-order tensors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
enzomarino
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dear friends,
How is the divergence in curvilinear coordinates of a second order mixed tensor defined? I mean, shall I contract the covariant or the contravariant index?? And for both cases which is the physical meaning?

[tex]\nabla_i N^i_j[/tex] or [tex]\nabla_j N^i_j[/tex]?

Thanks a lot,
Enzo
 
Physics news on Phys.org
enzomarino said:
Dear friends,
How is the divergence in curvilinear coordinates of a second order mixed tensor defined? I mean, shall I contract the covariant or the contravariant index?? And for both cases which is the physical meaning?

[tex]\nabla_i N^i_j[/tex] or [tex]\nabla_j N^i_j[/tex]?

Thanks a lot,
Enzo


You should always contract lower indices with upper indices in the first place. I think you're confused because the energy momentum tensor T is symmetric, so it doesn't mind with which index you contract.

The physical meaning of the divergence depends on what the tensor T represents; it depends on what the [tex]T^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] means for fixed [tex]\alpha[/tex] or fixed [tex]\beta[/tex]. You could put other conserved quantities in some tensor T; the divergence of one of the indices means then covariant conservation of that quantity.