1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of mixed II-order tensors

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    Dear friends,
    How is the divergence in curvilinear coordinates of a second order mixed tensor defined? I mean, shall I contract the covariant or the contravariant index?? And for both cases which is the physical meaning?

[tex]\nabla_i N^i_j[/tex] or [tex]\nabla_j N^i_j [/tex]?

Thanks a lot,
    Enzo

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

You should always contract lower indices with upper indices in the first place. I think you're confused because the energy momentum tensor T is symmetric, so it doesn't mind with which index you contract.

The physical meaning of the divergence depends on what the tensor T represents; it depends on what the [tex]T^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] means for fixed [tex]\alpha[/tex] or fixed [tex]\beta[/tex]. You could put other conserved quantities in some tensor T; the divergence of one of the indices means then covariant conservation of that quantity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?