Divergence of vorticity vector is zero--intuition behind it

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vorticity in fluid dynamics and the understanding that the divergence of vorticity is zero. The idea of vorticity being the spin of fluid particles is discussed, but it is clarified that this concept assumes a continuous and differentiable material. The conversation also mentions that once vorticity is created, it cannot be destroyed or created again due to the absence of viscous forces. It is also explained that the concept of divergence of vorticity is impossible, similar to the concept of a number being both positive and negative at the same time.
Urmi Roy
So mathematically I understand that divergence of curl of something is zero.

However, talking specifically about vorticity, this is what it seems to imply to me:

When there is vorticity in a fluid, the tiny particles spin around their own axes, so a net circulation is formed around the surface of a vortex tube (circulation). So circulation is like the vector sum of all the vorticity,the macroscopic effect of tiny particles spinning. Its the resulting 'loop' of velocities.
So zero divergence of vorticity means it doesn't have a source/sink any where in the fluid.

However I don't completely believe it, because all the spinning motion had to start somewhere...so it doesn't make sense that there is no source of vorticity!

Please tell me which part of my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,
Urmi

Engineering news on Phys.org
"It had to start somewhere" is a statement about time, not about space. And you cannot have vorticity at a single point only, that does not work. Every tiny vortex you generate will have a (variable) vorticity in some volume, with zero divergence everywhere.

Thanks for the reply mfb. However I still don't understand why the divergence is zero everywhere.
Also, when you say you can't have vorticity at a single point, does that mean that my understanding that vorticity is basically the spin of fluid particles about their own axis (like Earth spinning about its axis) is wrong?

Vorticity with individual particles does not work. The concept assumes the material is continuous and all relevant properties are differentiable.

Hmmm, ok I think I'm getting this point.
About what you mentioned regarding the zero divergence at every point in the field, do you mean that AFTER vorticity is created (e.g. due to viscosity) and we have a steady state, then none of the vorticity can vanish on its own?

It can vanish in time, but not in the way you would get a divergence of it. This is as impossible as a number being negative and positive at the same time (and no, 0 is neither). There is simply no possible motion that would give a divercence in the vorticity. No matter how the flow looks like.

I'm not sure I understand your argument, and how you're comparing vorticity with a number being +ve and -ve at the same time. However I think the take away is that if we assume no viscous forces are acting on the vortices anymore, any further vorticity can't be generated or destroyed because the basic reason for creation/destruction of vortices i.e. viscosity doesn't act anymore.

Urmi Roy said:
and how you're comparing vorticity with a number being +ve and -ve at the same time.
I don't compare the values, I compare the impossibility to happen. No matter how hard you try, you can never find a solution for either of the problems.
Urmi Roy said:
However I think the take away is that if we assume no viscous forces are acting on the vortices anymore, any further vorticity can't be generated or destroyed because the basic reason for creation/destruction of vortices i.e. viscosity doesn't act anymore.
This is not a question of viscosity. Even if you have perfect control of the flow velocity and direction at every point and can set it to arbitrary values, you still cannot get divergence of vorticity.

1. What is the divergence of a vorticity vector?

The divergence of a vorticity vector is a mathematical concept used in fluid dynamics to describe the rate of change of vorticity, which is the curl or rotational motion of a fluid. It is a measure of how much the fluid is rotating at a given point.

2. Why is the divergence of a vorticity vector important in fluid dynamics?

The divergence of a vorticity vector is important because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of fluids in motion. It is a fundamental quantity in the study of fluid dynamics and is used to derive important equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations.

3. What does it mean if the divergence of a vorticity vector is zero?

If the divergence of a vorticity vector is zero, it means that the vorticity is not changing or is constant at a given point in the fluid. In other words, there is no stretching or compression of the vorticity at that point. This is known as the conservation of vorticity and is a key principle in fluid dynamics.

4. What is the intuition behind the fact that the divergence of a vorticity vector is zero?

The intuition behind the fact that the divergence of a vorticity vector is zero is that in a fluid, vorticity is generated at a point when there is a difference in the fluid's velocity in different directions. However, this vorticity cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be redistributed. Therefore, the total vorticity in a fluid must remain constant, resulting in a zero divergence of the vorticity vector.

5. How is the concept of divergence of a vorticity vector applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of divergence of a vorticity vector is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and oceanography. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids, such as air and water, in different environments. For example, in weather forecasting, the conservation of vorticity is used to explain the formation and movement of weather systems, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.