Sound Generation from Fluid Flow

In summary, turbulence generate sound due to vortex shedding and micro vortices which generates pressure fluctuation within the fluid. This will transmittet through the structure and be recorded by the reciver on the other side of the annuli.
klippen88
Hi guys,

I am involved in some research on modelling sound from fluids through mirco annuli and i have been trying to get some of the basic fundamentals on generation of sounds from turbulent flow. Unfortunately most of the online literature do not give much details on the physics of such mechanism.

I hope you guys could provide me with some principels:

From my understanding, turbulence generate sound due to vortex shedding and micro vortices which generates pressure fluctuation within the fluid (i am not sure if this is correct) - these will transmittet through the structure and be recorded by the reciver on the other side of the annuli. (my model is a cement cylindre with a mirco annuli in the centre, where we throttle fluid across the cylindre - receiver is placed on the outside of the cylindre in liquid)

However, our case is to modelling the noise which is generated as the fluid is accelerated through the micro annuli.Thank you all so much for you help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the fluid an incompressible liquid, or a compressible gas?
Is the fluid pure, or are there lumps in the fluid that will change the flow rate?

Fluid-Structure Interactions In Acoustics -1999- Edited By Dominique Habault. Springer-Verlag Wein.

Oscillations and Waves in Linear and Nonlinear Systems -2012- MI Rabinovich, DI Trubetskov. Kluwer Academic Publishers.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Is the fluid an incompressible liquid, or a compressible gas?
Is the fluid pure, or are there lumps in the fluid that will change the flow rate?
I am sorry for not stressing this issue in my previous thread!

Both! I.e., I will model a case with incompressible liquid (oil) and one case with compressible fluid (gas).

Pure fluid with an decrease in the "leak" rate, in this manner you could considere the system as a system with overpressure which is bleed of to allow migration of the fluid through the micro annulus.

Hope this helps!

OK. See also; Acoustics of Fluid-Structure Interactions -1998- MS Howe, Cambridge Monographs on Mechanics, ISBN 0521633206, 9780521633208

Thank you! :-)

1. What is sound generation from fluid flow?

Sound generation from fluid flow is the production of sound waves through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. This can occur naturally, like the sound of wind or waves, or can be deliberately created by man-made devices, like a whistle or a jet engine.

2. How does fluid flow create sound?

When a fluid, such as air or water, is in motion, it creates disturbances in the surrounding medium. These disturbances, or pressure variations, travel through the medium as sound waves, which can be perceived by our ears as sound.

3. What factors affect the generation of sound from fluid flow?

The generation of sound from fluid flow can be affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of the fluid flow, the shape and size of the object causing the flow, and the properties of the fluid itself, such as density and viscosity.

4. How is sound generation from fluid flow used in everyday life?

Sound generation from fluid flow has a variety of applications in everyday life. It is used in transportation, such as in cars, planes, and boats, to create propulsion and reduce drag. It is also used in musical instruments, such as flutes and trumpets, to create music. Additionally, it is used in industrial processes, like in pumps and turbines, to generate power.

5. Can sound generation from fluid flow be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, sound generation from fluid flow can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques and technologies. For example, engineers can design the shape and size of objects to minimize unwanted noise from fluid flow, and acoustic insulation materials can be used to reduce sound transmission. Additionally, advanced technologies like active noise control and acoustic levitation can be used to actively manipulate and control sound generated from fluid flow.