Dividing a number w/uncert by a number w/o uncert

  • Thread starter Thread starter 5.98e24
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 33K views
5.98e24
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If I have a number with an uncertainty and I want to divide it by a number without an uncertainty (ex. if it's just a constant, like pi), what do I do with the uncertainty? Is it ok to just divide the uncertainty by that number?

ex. (4.05 +/- 0.3) / 3

Do I divide the 0.3 uncertainty by 3, and that would be my uncertainty for the final answer, or do I have to do percentage uncertainties?

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


Intuition tells me it's the first, but I'm not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
(4.05 +/- 0.3) / 3 = (4.08 to 4.02) / 3 = 1.36 to 1.34 = 1.35 +/- 0.1

So I think you are right.
 
Yes, the uncertainty is also mulitplied (or divided, in this case) by the constant.