Dividing by a parameter that is zero

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of calculus of variations and its relation to regular calculus. It involved using a parameterized function and taking its derivative at a specific point. The conversation also touched on the concept of a stationary point and clarifying that setting the parameter to zero does not mean dividing by zero. The conversation concluded with one person admitting they need to review the basics of calculus before tackling more advanced topics.
Dr_Pill
Hi,

I'm studying calculus of variations, this is a bit of a recap of regular calculus.

You got a function, but you plug a vector that is parameterized so your function becomes parameterized, then you take the derivative in 3.5, and then they say: put the parameter to zero in 3.6, but then you divide by zero, I don't get it.

BjBnMPn.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you dividing by [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] then?

You are just using the condition that
$$f'(\vec r, 0) = \left. \frac{df}{d\epsilon} \right|_{\epsilon = 0}$$
i.e. ##\varepsilon = 0## is a stationary point to set the left hand side to zero.

Likes 1 person
It doesn't set dε to 0, it sets ##\frac{df}{dε}## to 0. The rate of change of f is 0 at ε = 0 because f is stationary at that point.

Likes 1 person
Are you under the impression that [itex]\frac{df}{de}[/itex] involves dividing by e? It does not.
[tex]\frac{df}{de}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(e+h)- f(e)}{h}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
My god.What a mistake.

It's been a while since I've encountered calculus.
I better review the basics thoroughly than tackling some more advanced stuff.

Excuses!

1. Can you divide by a parameter that is equal to zero?

No, dividing by a parameter that is zero is undefined and not possible. It would result in an infinite value, which is mathematically undefined.

2. Why is dividing by a parameter that is zero undefined?

Dividing by zero is undefined because it violates the fundamental mathematical principle of division, which states that any number divided by zero is equal to infinity. As infinity is not a specific value, the result is considered undefined.

3. What happens if I try to divide by a parameter that is approaching zero?

If a parameter is approaching zero, the result of dividing by it will also approach infinity. This is known as a limit and is only defined in certain mathematical contexts, such as calculus.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of not dividing by a parameter that is zero?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. In mathematics, dividing by zero is always considered undefined and not possible.

5. Can dividing by a parameter that is zero ever be valid?

No, dividing by zero is never valid. It is important to follow this rule in mathematics to ensure accurate and consistent results.