1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a function y(x) given three parameters

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 5.12.12 PM.png
    This problem comes from a practice test that I am reviewing before my final. My main confusion comes from the mathematical implication of the integral being an extremum. The first two parameters are y(x=0) = 0 and y(x = π/2) = 1. The third says the integral from 0 to 1 of ∫[ (dy/dx)2 - y2 ]dx is an extremum.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly, the first two parameters are easily solved by y = sin(x). However, this third bit of information is very confusing to me. I first considered, in 1 dimension the first derivative of a function at an extremum is zero, and thus perhaps plugging in zero for dy/dx. That didn't seem right so I attempted to solve the integral, but couldn't figure out the first part to solve. Thirdly, I tried plugging in sin(x) and see what could be achieved, with a final result of something like .5-.27 = extremum (integral of sin2(x) from zero to one is the .27.) If possible, the guidance I am looking for is how to think about mathematically the fact that the the integrand, involving dy/dx is related to the extremum.

Thanks. Sorry if the formatting is off, first post here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to use the Euler-Lagrange equation, to see what the candidate forms can be for ##y(x)## that optimize the integral.

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    Okay thank you very much! This was the advice I was looking for. For future notice, should I assume that when I need to minimize an integral that has dy/dx in it, I should be looking out to use Euler-Lagrange equation? (Apologies again if its a silly question)

5. May 1, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it has both y and dy/dx in it, then yes: the problem of optimizing ##\int_a^b F(y(x), y'(x)) \, dx## belongs to the field of Calculus of Variations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted