Computer DIY embedded linux microcontroller

• Thread starter maxsthekat
  • Start date
Hi all!

Does anyone know of any good sites for how to build a DIY embedded linux microcontroller?

I know that I'll need a processor of some sort (was thinking maybe an ARM device), a ROM for the bootloader and kernal, RAM for the general processing, and a JTAG or programming interface of some sort for the ROM. Where's a good place to look for these components? And, how to go about wiring them up once I've obtained them?

I've played around a bit with the Arduino stuff-- I'm looking to take a step up and roll my own board. I'm not looking for anything fancy-- just want to get the traditional "hello world" blinking led going on a board running an embedded linux distribution.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

-Max

Baluncore

Science Advisor
The minimum board necessary to run linux will have the complexity of a RPi. It will require a team of developers.
Designing your own equivalent would be a step too far for an individual.

Henryk

Gold Member
your question suggests that you are not too experienced. In that case, designing a Linux-capable board is probably way beyond your abilities. Why don't you try to buy something that already exists. There are several low cost Linux-capable platforms, probably the most popular is raspberry. Not expensive.

berkeman

Mentor
I know that I'll need a processor of some sort (was thinking maybe an ARM device), a ROM for the bootloader and kernal, RAM for the general processing, and a JTAG or programming interface of some sort for the ROM. Where's a good place to look for these components? And, how to go about wiring them up once I've obtained them?
If you'd like to get some experience building your own microcontroller (uC) board and doing simple programming of it, I'd suggest starting with a PIC processor in a through-hole package (or use an SMT-to-through-hole adapter boardlet). It's a lot easier to prototype through-hole circuits, and the PIC processors have built-in RAM and Flash memory, so you don't need external memory for basic stuff.

There are lots of resources and examples / App Notes at the Microchip website to help you get started. You will download a GUI application to let you write your initial applications in C or whatever language you want. There is no operating system like Linux involved -- your program that you write will do all of your tasks.

Henryk

Gold Member
Yea, PIC is simple and good to start. You can get a development kit very chip. It includes the programming board and the software. I got it to design a programmable timing circuit, programmed the PIC chip using the kit then installed in my own circuit.