DME gas through the regultor problem

• Thread starter jkim6881
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the experimenter is facing a problem with the DME fuel they are using for their combustion experiment. The fuel evaporates and passes through the regulator, causing it to freeze over due to latent heat of vaporization and isentropic expansion. To fix this issue, two solutions have been proposed: placing heaters near the regulator or using a flexible line with heaters or placed in hot water. However, the use of a flexible line would require frequent water replacement. The expert suggests researching propane systems for a potential solution, such as taking liquid out of the tank instead of vapor and using a heat exchanger to vaporize the fuel.
jkim6881
I am currently setting up a combustion experiment and I encountered a problem with a fuel I am using.

For this set up, I am using DME and thread type is POL.

After DME is evaporated in the bottle and pass through the regulator, it gets really cold that it almost freezes over in few minutes. (This is because of latent heat of vaporization within the bottle, and for regulator - isentropic expansion of the gas, cools and joule thomson cooling effect)

Thus, this needs to be fixed.

For this issue, the one proposed method is putting heaters near the regulator so it does not freeze

Other method is placing a flexible line between DME bottle and regulator. Flexible line from the bottle to the regulator (In line heaters)

Heat up these line with the heater is or put the flexible line in the hot bucket of water is suggested.

Since the bottle connection doe not involve the electricity, this option is came out to be most relevant method. But problem is water needs to be replaced several times during the experiments.

So I wonder whether there is other solution or suggestion for this issue.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I will assume that DME is similar to propane in properties of evaporation and liquification. Do a search on propane systems and you will probably find a solution. First hint would be to take liquid out of the tank instead of vapor. That solves the tank freeze over problem. Hot air balloons as well as other equipment that uses propane run the pipe carrying the liquid right through the flame to vaporize it. Vehicles that run on propane have a heat exchanger using the engine coolant to accomplish the same thing.

1. What is DME gas and how is it used?

DME (Dimethyl Ether) gas is a clean-burning alternative to traditional fuels like diesel. It is commonly used as a propellant in aerosol products and as a fuel in transportation.

2. What is the "regulator problem" with DME gas?

The regulator problem refers to issues that can arise when using DME gas in certain types of regulators, which are devices used to control the flow of gas. Due to its unique properties, DME gas can cause damage or malfunction in some types of regulators.

3. What are the potential dangers of the regulator problem?

If a regulator is not functioning properly, it can lead to gas leaks or other safety hazards. This can be especially dangerous in confined spaces or if the gas is being used in a high-pressure system.

4. How can the regulator problem be prevented?

To prevent the regulator problem, it is important to use a regulator specifically designed for use with DME gas. These regulators are made with materials that can withstand the unique properties of DME and are tested to ensure proper functioning.

5. What should I do if I encounter issues with DME gas and my regulator?

If you experience any problems with DME gas and your regulator, it is important to stop using the gas immediately and contact a professional for assistance. Do not attempt to fix the issue yourself, as this can be dangerous. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your regulators to prevent any potential problems.