Do any singularities have Infinite density

In summary: So density is not a good indicator of energy density.Caustics have infinite energy density. Conversely, wave dislocations have zero energy density. So density is not a good indicator of energy density.That's a valid point, but in the context of general relativity and black holes, density is still a useful indicator of energy density. This is because in general relativity, mass and energy are equivalent, and the density of matter is what contributes to the overall energy density. So while caustics and wave dislocations may have different energy densities, they do not have the same effects on space-time curvature as a black hole singularity with infinite density.
jamesb-uk
Do any singularities (including the big bang singularity) have:
1. Infinite density
2. Infinite mass
3. Volume
Also, based on the questions above, are naked singularities different to black hole singularities?

Physics news on Phys.org

jamesb-uk said:
1. Infinite density
2. Infinite mass
3. Volume
Also, based on the questions above, are naked singularities different to black hole singularities?

A singularity with infinite mass makes no sense, so #2 is a no.

#1 and #3 are saying the same thing, because infinite density is a finite amount of mass in a infinitesimal volume. This is the hallmark of gravitational singularities (such as those of a black hole).

jamesb-uk said:
1. Infinite density
2. Infinite mass
3. Volume

The van Hove singularity satisfies none of the above description.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The van Hove singularity satisfies none of the above description.

Zz.

What is the van hove singularity?

The reason I asked whether singularities have infinite mass was because I heard that black hole singulaities have infinite space-time curvature. This doesn't seem right to me, as if that were true, wouldn't that mean the gravitational attraction of a black hole is infinite.

jamesb-uk said:
What is the van hove singularity?

The reason I asked whether singularities have infinite mass was because I heard that black hole singulaities have infinite space-time curvature. This doesn't seem right to me, as if that were true, wouldn't that mean the gravitational attraction of a black hole is infinite.

I'm sure you are able to do a search on this yourself.

Note that in your OP, you asked about ANY "singularity". There are a gazillion different types of "singularity", which simply means a quantity, ANY quantity, that diverges at certain values. I happen to have shown you one type of singularity in the electronic density of states.

Zz.

If there was a singularity with infinite mass then all other particles in the universe would have infinite acceleration towards that singularity, which means that all stars and galaxies would be ripped to shreds in an infinitely small amount of time. The fact that I am alive and typing this message is therefore proof that no object in the universe has infinite mass.

junglebeast said:
If there was a singularity with infinite mass then all other particles in the universe would have infinite acceleration towards that singularity, which means that all stars and galaxies would be ripped to shreds in an infinitely small amount of time. The fact that I am alive and typing this message is therefore proof that no object in the universe has infinite mass.

Exactly, that's why I couldn't understand the statement that singulariies have infinite space-time curvature.

jamesb-uk said:
Exactly, that's why I couldn't understand the statement that singulariies have infinite space-time curvature.

I find the 2-D rubber sheet analogy to be a good method of resolving this.

http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/bmendez/ay10/2002/notes/pics/bt2lfS316_a.jpg

This site has three very good images showing various space-time curvatures of objects with the same mass* but different densities. As you can see in the black hole case, the potential well never ends, and so the curvature is said to be infinite at that point. However, it's just a local effect and far away you can see space-time is curved exactly the same as if the object was the sun.

*As per stellar evolution the masses of these three objects wouldn't be exactly the same, but they're close enough to illustrate the point.

jamesb-uk said:
Infinite curvature results from infinite density, not infinite mass. And as previously explained, you can get infinite density when you pack any (nonzero) amount of mass into an infinitesimal (you can think of it as basically zero) volume. That's what happens in a black hole, according to general relativity.

And of course, this has also been mentioned before, but a "singularity" is really a mathematical concept that has kind of been extended to physics; it basically just describes a point where something is infinite. Black holes are not the only kind of singularity, although they're probably the most commonly discussed among physicists.

This might be interesting: the actual equation from general relativity is

[tex]R^{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}R = 8\pi T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

(well that's one way of writing it, if you ignore the cosmological constant). This represents 16 equations, one for each pair of values of [tex]\mu, \nu = 0, 1, 2, 3[/tex] (although some of the 16 are the same). The important point is that all that junk on the left side is, roughly speaking, a measure of the curvature of spacetime (i.e. gravity), and [tex]T^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is proportional to the density of matter - not the total mass. The actual mass doesn't appear anywhere in this equation, except as part of the density. So as long as you have infinite density, there will be a singularity (because a term in the equation is infinite), regardless of the total mass involved.

Caustics have infinite energy density. Conversely, wave dislocations have zero energy density.

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space-time where the laws of physics break down and our current understanding of the universe fails to explain the behavior of matter and energy. It is a point of infinite density and zero volume.

2. How is density measured in a singularity?

In a singularity, density cannot be measured in the traditional sense because it is infinite. It is a concept that is beyond our current understanding of physics. However, it is believed that the density in a singularity is so high that it causes a distortion in the fabric of space-time.

3. Do all singularities have infinite density?

According to our current understanding, all singularities have infinite density. This includes the Big Bang singularity, black hole singularities, and other potential singularities that may exist in the universe. However, as our understanding of physics evolves, this may change.

4. Can we observe a singularity with infinite density?

No, we cannot observe a singularity with infinite density directly. The extreme gravitational pull of a singularity makes it impossible for any information, including light, to escape. However, we can study the effects of a singularity on its surroundings, such as the gravitational lensing caused by a black hole singularity.

5. Could a singularity with infinite density be the source of all matter and energy in the universe?

This is a theory known as the "Big Bang singularity." It suggests that the universe originated from a singularity with infinite density and has been expanding ever since. However, this is still a topic of debate among scientists and further research is needed to fully understand the origins of the universe.