2 bumper cars collide (check my work please?)

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Work
In summary, the conversation was about solving a physics problem involving two bumper cars colliding at a county fair. The initial velocities and masses of the cars were given, and the goal was to find the velocity of one of the cars after the collision. Different approaches were discussed, with one person getting a potentially unreasonable answer and another person pointing out a mistake in their calculation. The correct method involved equating the before and after total x component momentum to find the velocity of the car in the x direction, while the y component of the velocity remained unchanged. The confusion over angles and direction was also addressed.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

So my book doesn't have an answer for this problem at the back, was just wondering if someone could check my work..

Two bumper cars at the county fair are sliding toward one another. Initially bumper car 1 is traveling to the east at 5.62 m/s and bumper car 2 is traveling 60 degrees south of west at 10 m/s. After they collide, bumper car 1 is observed to be traveling west with a speed of 3.14 m/s. Fiction is negligible between the cars and the ground. If the masses of bumper cars 1 and 2 are 596 kg and 625 kg respectively, what is the velocity of bumper car 2 immediately after the collision?

Homework Equations

Ki = Kf
[itex] V_f = ((m_1 - m_2)/(m_1 + m_2)) (V_{im_1}) + ((2m_2)/(m_1 + m_2))(V_{im_2}) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the x velocity of bumper car 2 according the the eq ^ up there.

[itex] V_x = ((625 -596) / (625 + 596)) 10cos(240) + \frac {2(596)}{(625 + 596) }(5.62) [/itex]

x velocity = 5.62 m/s

[itex] V_y = ( (625-596)/(625+596) ) 10sin(240) + 0 [/itex]

y velocity = -.2057 m/s

I put 0 here because the y velocity of car 1 doesn't exist

Now I find magnitude:

[itex] ( (5.3682)^2 + (-.2057)^2 )^{1/2} [/itex]

= 5.3721 m/s at 357 degrees (using arctan)

Can anyone check my work and make sure its correct? Am I doing the right thing here?

I also got another answer around 50 m/s using Kinetic energy initial = Ke final but that doesn't seem right so I will use this one since 5.37 m/s seems about right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't gone through the math, but it does not seem reasonable to me that one of the bumper cars at the county fair would be traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour after the impact. Call me a stick in the mud, but that may be a bit too extreme for children on bumper cars.

TomHart said:
I haven't gone through the math, but it does not seem reasonable to me that one of the bumper cars at the county fair would be traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour after the impact. Call me a stick in the mud, but that may be a bit too extreme for children on bumper cars.
I know lol, that's what my answer was using the Kinetic energy initial = Ke final approach, but I dismissed it since it seemed too large to me.

Instead I got v = 5.3721 m/s at 357 degrees which seems reasonable to me but I don't have the answer for this one in the back of my book unfortunately. :(

I'll try to work through it, but some smarter person will probably beat me to it.

TomHart said:
I'll try to work through it, but some smarter person will probably beat me to it.
I have faith in you and your abilities TomHart.

Likes TomHart
I got a different answer than you did. Let me ask you a question. What is the y component of car 2's velocity before impact? And, since car 1 has no y component of velocity, either before or after the impact, what does that tell you about car 2's y component of velocity after impact?

TomHart said:
I got a different answer than you did. Let me ask you a question. What is the y component of car 2's velocity before impact? And, since car 1 has no y component of velocity, either before or after the impact, what does that tell you about car 2's y component of velocity after impact?
Car 2's y component = 10sin(240) degrees, right? That means car 2's y component of velocity after impact remains the same?

Yes, that's right. So that is a magnitude of 8.66 m/s. And since your answer of 5.3721 m/s for the magnitude of the final velocity is less than the y component of 8.66, that means your answer has to be wrong.

But since you now know the final y component of the velocity of car 2, it should now be a simple matter of equating before and after total x component momentum to find the x component of car 2's velocity.

TomHart said:
Yes, that's right. So that is a magnitude of 8.66 m/s. And since your answer of 5.3721 m/s for the magnitude of the final velocity is less than the y component of 8.66, that means your answer has to be wrong.

But since you now know the final y component of the velocity of car 2, it should now be a simple matter of equating before and after total x component momentum to find the x component of car 2's velocity.

Sorry one question: Y initial was first 10sin(240) then it was the absolute value of 10sin(240), correct??

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like the angle 240. It is kind of confusing to me. When the problem says, "60 degrees south of west", it means, from the west direction you rotate 60 degrees toward the south. It seems natural to me to define the north direction as positive y, and east direction as positive x. So starting from the +y direction, the initial angle of car 2 would actually be 210 degrees if you rotate clockwise from the starting point.
So that means the initial y component of car 2's velocity would be (10)(cos30) = 8.66 m/s in the negative y (or south) direction. And because car 1 has no y component of velocity, either before or after impact, due to conservation of the y component of momentum, the final y component of car 2's velocity has to remain unchanged - specifically, 8.66 m/s in the negative y (or south) direction. In other words, the y component of car 2's velocity is unaffected by the collision.

TomHart said:
Personally, I don't like the angle 240. It is kind of confusing to me. When the problem says, "60 degrees south of west", it means, from the west direction you rotate 60 degrees toward the south. It seems natural to me to define the north direction as positive y, and east direction as positive x. So starting from the +y direction, the initial angle of car 2 would actually be 210 degrees if you rotate clockwise from the starting point.
So that means the initial y component of car 2's velocity would be (10)(cos30) = 8.66 m/s in the negative y (or south) direction. And because car 1 has no y component of velocity, either before or after impact, due to conservation of the y component of momentum, the final y component of car 2's velocity has to remain unchanged - specifically, 8.66 m/s in the negative y (or south) direction. In other words, the y component of car 2's velocity is unaffected by the collision.

https://imgur.com/a/4wNiS

That is the picture that came along with the question. I thought y component was suppose to be using sin not cos??

For the angle defined the way it is in that picture, yes, it should be sin instead of cos.

TomHart said:
For the angle defined the way it is in that picture, yes, it should be sin instead of cos.

Okay, so going by the picture I can assume the cars initial Y velocity to be 10sin(240), right?

And after the collision its still 10sin(240) because car 1 doesn't have a y component, right?

Exactly . . . But I guess to be more accurate we should really say, car 2's y component of velocity has to remain the same because we know that car 1's y component of velocity is unchanged.

TomHart said:
Exactly . . . But I guess to be more accurate we should really say, car 2's y component of velocity has to remain the same because we know that car 1's y component of velocity is unchanged.
I see.

Did you get [itex] v_{Car2} = 3.35 ihat m/s + 10sin(240) jhat m/s [/itex]?

Sorry I forgot how to do the hat symbol again -_-

Yes, that looks right. I got vx = +3.354 m/s and vy = -8.66 m/s

Likes Rijad Hadzic
TomHart said:
Yes, that looks right. I got vx = +3.354 m/s and vy = -8.66 m/s
Cool thanks TomHart

Likes TomHart

What happens when two bumper cars collide?

When two bumper cars collide, the impact causes a transfer of kinetic energy between the two cars. This energy is then dissipated through the bumpers and into the frame, resulting in a change in the direction and speed of both cars.

What factors affect the collision between two bumper cars?

The speed, mass, and angle of the two cars are all factors that can affect the collision between two bumper cars. The type and condition of the bumpers and the surface of the track can also play a role in the collision.

How does the design of bumper cars prevent serious injuries?

Bumper cars are designed with a low center of gravity and a padded interior to absorb impact and minimize the risk of serious injuries. The bumpers also act as a cushion between cars, reducing the force of the collision.

Can bumper cars collide at any speed?

Bumper cars are designed to operate at low speeds, typically between 2-5 miles per hour. Collisions at higher speeds can increase the risk of injuries and damage to the cars and may not be allowed in certain bumper car attractions.

Is it possible for two bumper cars to collide and not move?

In a perfectly elastic collision, two bumper cars could collide and not move if their speeds and masses are equal. However, in real-life situations, there will always be some transfer of kinetic energy, causing movement in both cars.