Do i have to get a physics degree to pursue astrophysics?

In summary, getting a physics bachelors may be a better option than getting a math degree to prepare for the GRE. Getting a tutor to help with the material may also be a good idea.
rengsn
i have a bachelor's degree in math...and after working some years in the music industry, I've decided to pursue another passion of mine, astrophysics...after looking at the GRE physics practice test, i realized i really don't know much about physics in general...and there aren't any good resources out there to prepare for the GRE...any ideas on how i should proceed? should i get get a bachelor's in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know a math graduate that went into a msc. in astrophysics and did quite well in it, but things are different over here (no gre's for msc's).

Getting a physics bachelors would be ideal, but with a math degree under your belt, don't you feel capable of self-studying up to sophomore & junior level physics material on your own? The math required on the pgre is likely trivial for you, so you would need to focus more on conceptual physics.

A standard bachelors route would give you the proper guidance but I think it is overkill if you just want to get a good pgre score and have a shot at graduate astronomy/astrophysics programs.

Agreed with the above post.

rengsn said:
and there aren't any good resources out there to prepare for the GRE...any ideas on how i should proceed? should i get get a bachelor's in physics?

Actually, there are some good resources... undergraduate- (or even graduate-) level physics textbooks. Like the guys above said, you could probably pick up a few books in the major areas of physics and teach yourself. Of course, most people find it easier to learn a topic if they have lectures to supplement/dictate their learning. Maybe another option is take a few classes at a local university on a non-matriculated basis?

thanks for the inputs...i have now acquired a physics tutor who lectures at a local college..yay...hope all goes well...

No, you do not necessarily need a physics degree to pursue astrophysics. While a strong background in physics is certainly helpful, it is not a requirement. Your bachelor's degree in math is a great foundation for pursuing astrophysics, as math is a fundamental tool in this field. It is important to have a strong understanding of physics principles, but you do not necessarily need a full degree in physics to gain this knowledge.

As for preparing for the GRE, there are many resources available online and in books that can help you study and prepare for the exam. You may also consider taking some introductory physics courses at a local college or university to gain a better understanding of the subject matter.

Ultimately, whether or not you should pursue a bachelor's degree in physics depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are passionate about astrophysics and want to deepen your understanding of the subject, then pursuing a degree in physics may be a good option for you. However, if your goal is to work in the field of astrophysics, there are other paths you can take, such as pursuing a graduate degree in astrophysics or gaining research experience through internships or other opportunities. It is important to research and consider all of your options before making a decision.

What is the difference between astrophysics and physics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the physical properties and processes of celestial objects and phenomena, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. Physics, on the other hand, is a broader field that encompasses the study of all matter and energy in the universe, including both terrestrial and celestial objects.

Do I need a physics degree to pursue a career in astrophysics?

While a physics degree is not always required for a career in astrophysics, it is highly recommended. A degree in physics provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and concepts of astrophysics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are essential for conducting research in astrophysics.

What other degrees can I pursue to work in astrophysics?

In addition to a degree in physics, there are other degrees that can lead to a career in astrophysics. These include degrees in astronomy, astrophysics, or space science. Some universities also offer specialized degrees in astrophysics, such as astrophysical instrumentation or computational astrophysics.

Can I pursue a career in astrophysics without a degree?

While it is possible to work in the field of astrophysics without a degree, it is extremely rare. Most employers, including research institutions and universities, require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field. Without a degree, it would be challenging to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to conduct research and contribute to the field of astrophysics.

What skills do I need to succeed in astrophysics?

To succeed in astrophysics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for collaborating with other researchers and presenting findings to the scientific community. Programming and data analysis skills are also highly beneficial in this field.