1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Do i have to get a physics degree to pursue astrophysics?

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    i have a bachelor's degree in math....and after working some years in the music industry, i've decided to pursue another passion of mine, astrophysics....after looking at the GRE physics practice test, i realized i really don't know much about physics in general....and there aren't any good resources out there to prepare for the GRE...any ideas on how i should proceed? should i get get a bachelor's in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2
    I know a math graduate that went into a msc. in astrophysics and did quite well in it, but things are different over here (no gre's for msc's).

Getting a physics bachelors would be ideal, but with a math degree under your belt, don't you feel capable of self-studying up to sophomore & junior level physics material on your own? The math required on the pgre is likely trivial for you, so you would need to focus more on conceptual physics.

A standard bachelors route would give you the proper guidance but I think it is overkill if you just want to get a good pgre score and have a shot at graduate astronomy/astrophysics programs.

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Agreed with the above post.

Actually, there are some good resources.... undergraduate- (or even graduate-) level physics text books. Like the guys above said, you could probably pick up a few books in the major areas of physics and teach yourself. Of course, most people find it easier to learn a topic if they have lectures to supplement/dictate their learning. Maybe another option is take a few classes at a local university on a non-matriculated basis?

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4
    thanks for the inputs...i have now acquired a physics tutor who lectures at a local college..yay...hope all goes well....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook