Do i have to use a thermal paste?

• Thread starter LM741
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 2 channel H bridge that allows a maximum current of 2A per channel. The person needed to draw 2.3A and configured the bridge to allow a maximum of 4A, but noticed that the H bridge gets very hot. The data sheet states that the bridge can withstand temperatures up to 132 degrees Celsius, but the person still wants to attach a heatsink. The question is whether a screw can be used to attach the heatsink or if thermal paste is necessary. The general consensus is that thermal paste is crucial for the heatsink to be effective, as it helps improve contact and maximize heat transfer. It is also noted that without thermal paste, a heatsink may
LM741
Hey guys...

Have a 2 channel H bridge. Each channel allows a device to draw max. 2A. Needed to to draw 2.3A so i configured it in such a way that i can draw 4A max. obviously only one channel now...
Anyway ...the H bridge gets very hot! the data sheet says it can withstand temperatures up to 132 degrees celcuis , but i still feel the need to attach a heat sink to it... Can i attach the H bridge to the heat sink with a mere screw or do I HAVE to use that speacial thermal paste.?

thanks

John

Physics news on Phys.org
the heatsink won't be useful without thermal paste...
so i'd say, yes, you have to use thermal paste if you want your heatsink to work.
atleast that's the way it is with CPUs.

Thanks - do you honestly think its that imperative. I can't see how using another method of attachment will make the heatsink totally useless...perhaps it won't be as effective without the paste but surely it will still help to a certain extent...

the heatsink will still work without the thermal paste. The paste helps the heatsink work better though by improving the contact area between the two surfaces and maximizing heat transfer.

ofcourse a heatsink is still better then nothing, it's a VERY big difference if you use a thermal paste...

my only experience so far with heatsinks is CPUs, but i can tell you that a heatsink with no thermal paste can't cool pentium4 to less then 75C-80C with ambient temp at 23, and that's when it's ideal (well, it won't get much hotter, because it will throttle to save itself).

if you'd use a good thermal paste, you can get it to 30C-35C... so, thermal paste is quite important for a heatsink to be effective.

Thanks fargoth and imabug!

1. Do I really need to use thermal paste when installing a CPU?

Yes, thermal paste is essential for the proper functioning and longevity of your CPU. Without thermal paste, there is a higher risk of your CPU overheating, which can lead to damage or failure.

2. Can I use any type of thermal paste?

It is recommended to use a high-quality thermal paste designed specifically for use with CPUs. Different types of thermal paste may have varying levels of effectiveness and can potentially damage your CPU if not compatible.

3. How much thermal paste should I apply?

The amount of thermal paste needed depends on the size and type of CPU. Generally, a pea-sized amount in the center of the CPU is sufficient. It is important not to apply too much as it can cause air bubbles and decrease the effectiveness of the thermal paste.

4. Do I need to reapply thermal paste every time I remove my CPU?

If you are installing a new CPU or removing it for maintenance purposes, it is recommended to clean off the old thermal paste and apply a fresh layer. Thermal paste can dry out and lose its effectiveness over time, so it is important to regularly replace it.

5. Can I use thermal paste on a laptop?

Yes, thermal paste can also be used on laptops to improve the heat transfer between the CPU and the heat sink. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the appropriate amount for your laptop's CPU.