Do motors have some voltage drop across them

In summary, the conversation discusses the causes of voltage drop in a DC motor and how it relates to the motor's back EMF and load. It is mentioned that every motor is also a generator, but if the load stalls the motor, there is no back EMF and the drop across the windings would be primarily due to winding resistance. The conversation also touches on the relationship between load and rotation speed, and how it affects the induced EMF.
Grim Arrow

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hello, i have been thinking, what couses a dc motor to have let's say 6volts drop across him. I was thinking that since it is just a coil it should have a verry little voltage drop, but afted testing on breadboard i figured out that it have near 6 volts.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i assume that since it is rotating continuesly in a magnetic stator, that stator field inducec counter emf into the coil and in order to pass, the motor voltage have to overcome that counter emf. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grim Arrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hello, i have been thinking, what couses a dc motor to have let's say 6volts drop across him. I was thinking that since it is just a coil it should have a verry little voltage drop, but afted testing on breadboard i figured out that it have near 6 volts.

So i assume that since it is rotating continuesly in a magnetic stator, that stator field inducec counter emf into the coil and in order to pass, the motor voltage have to overcome that counter emf. Is that right?
Isn't the voltage drop across the motor going to be related to the load the motor is driving?

Likes Grim Arrow
Grim Arrow said:

Pretty close. Many DC permanent magnet motors also work as generators. When used as a motor they generate a "back EMF" much as you describe. The back emf is proportional to the speed that the motor is running at. So with no load they tend to accelerate until the back emf is roughly equal to the supply voltage and then maintain that speed until a load is applied.

This leads to some interesting effects... For example the back emf is also proportional to the strength of the magnets. So all things being equal.. cheap ferrite magnet motors tend to run faster than motors that use high power rare Earth magnets. In practice it's not that simple. For most applications you want a motor that turns at a particular rpm. That means a ferrite magnet motor needs more turns (to generate the same back emf) than a rare Earth magnet motor. Having fewer turns means you can use thicker wire with lower resistance and less resistive loss (less heat). This makes rare Earth magnet motors more efficient than ferrite magnet motors.

Likes Grim Arrow
CWatters said:
Pretty close. Many DC permanent magnet motors also work as generators. When used as a motor they generate a "back EMF" much as you describe. The back emf is proportional to the speed that the motor is running at. So with no load they tend to accelerate until the back emf is roughly equal to the supply voltage and then maintain that speed until a load is applied.

This leads to some interesting effects... For example the back emf is also proportional to the strength of the magnets. So all things being equal.. cheap ferrite magnet motors tend to run faster than motors that use high power rare Earth magnets. In practice it's not that simple. For most applications you want a motor that turns at a particular rpm. That means a ferrite magnet motor needs more turns (to generate the same back emf) than a rare Earth magnet motor. Having fewer turns means you can use thicker wire with lower resistance and less resistive loss (less heat). This makes rare Earth magnet motors more efficient than ferrite magnet motors.
Thank you, CWatters!

Grim Arrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

That's correct. And, incidentally, every motor is also a generator. But if the load stalls the motor there is no back emf and the drop across the windings would be zero except for winding resistance which of course is always present.

Likes Grim Arrow
rude man said:
That's correct. And, incidentally, every motor is also a generator. But if the load stalls the motor there is no back emf and the drop across the windings would be zero except for winding resistance which of course is always present.
Thank you for the answer Rude man

SteamKing said:
Isn't the voltage drop across the motor going to be related to the load the motor is driving?
Yes it is related. If you hold the load is increased the rotation per minute is decreased and now the coil rotates in the stator magnetic field slower. And from what i consider to be truth: from the formula of em induction E= ^f/^t x n; V it seems that when u decrease the rate of rotation that ^f/^t becomes smaller and so is the induced emf. And if u stop the motor from rotating u aint going to get back emf and the only resistance will be that of the coil wire

1. What is voltage drop in a motor?

Voltage drop in a motor refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs as electricity flows through the motor. This drop in voltage is due to the resistance of the motor's components, such as the wires and windings.

2. Why does voltage drop occur in motors?

Voltage drop occurs in motors because of the internal resistance of the motor's components. As electricity flows through the motor, it encounters this resistance and loses some of its voltage.

3. How does voltage drop affect motor performance?

Voltage drop can affect motor performance by reducing the amount of voltage available for the motor to use. This can result in a decrease in motor speed and torque, and may also cause the motor to overheat.

4. Can voltage drop be prevented in motors?

While some voltage drop is inevitable, it can be minimized by using larger wires and reducing the length of the wires in the motor. It is also important to properly maintain the motor and ensure that all connections are tight.

5. How can voltage drop be measured in motors?

Voltage drop can be measured by using a multimeter to test the voltage at different points in the motor. By comparing the voltage at the power source to the voltage at the motor terminals, the amount of voltage drop can be determined.