Do photons of different energies interact with each other?

• Thread starter sqljunkey
  • Start date
sqljunkey
According to this link photons can interact with each other through the creation of other particles. My questions are do they have to have the same wavelength to be able to interact with one another? Is there a threshold where they start to interact with each other?

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Use of the term "dead centre" demands caution about the rest. Where is the 'centre' of a photon? That's a meaningless question.

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
According to this link photons can interact with each other through the creation of other particles. My questions are do they have to have the same wavelength to be able to interact with one another? Is there a threshold where they start to interact with each other?

If two photons are approaching each other in a head on collision, it should be possible to find a Lorentz frame where the photon wavelengths are equal (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). So, if this higher order process of photon-photon scattering is possible for photons of same wavelength, then it should be possible with unequal wavelengths too.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
a Lorentz frame where the photon wavelengths are equal
How does Heisenberg allow that? If they have 'exactly' the same wavelength the their relative position it totally uncertain.

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
How does Heisenberg allow that? If they have 'exactly' the same wavelength the their relative position it totally uncertain.

Yes, you can't produce photons with exactly the same wavelength anyway, but my argument is still probably valid for this purpose.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there any recorded evidence of this effect?

Suggested for: Do photons of different energies interact with each other?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies