Do pipe fittings work with male compression fittings?

In summary, an elbow will work fine to connect a braided hose to a male compression fitting, but the fittings you find in stores might not be the right size.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Does an ordinary pipe fitting, such as an elbow work when screwed onto a male compression fitting"? - or won't the connection seal properly?

The situation shown in the photo: I need to replace a 1/4 inch copper tube water supply line (to the ice maker on a refrigerator) with a 1/4 inch braided line. But the braided line has a burst protector on the end so it can't make the sharp 90 degree turn needed go from the valve up the wall.

The simplest solution would be an elbow, one end with a female connection to fit over the male compression connection at the valve, and the other end with a male compression connection to attach the braided line.

I can't find such a fitting at local hardware stores. Online, I find elbows with with the male compression fitting on one end and a female connection on the other, but I'm not sure the female end is designed to fit over a male compression fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070TX3EO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If such an elbow would work then what size female end should I order? The outer diameter of a male "1/4 inch" compression fitting is about 3/8 of an inch.

Attachments

• IceMakerLine.JPG
    IceMakerLine.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously there are a number of ways to do it. Simplest would be an elbow as you described but I haven't seen one in hardware stores either and I have done a lot of plumbing. Next would be to replace the valve with a fixture shut-off with male pipe thread one side and the appropriate compression fitting on the other side. They are readily available in right angle configurations. Or, if you don't want to take a chance on having a leak when you remove the existing valve, you could just do the same while leaving the existing valve in place. The brass valve you have there looks like a good quality valve. I doubt it will give trouble for many tears.
-
If you are sure the sizes are right, I am sure the fitting you have in the link would work. Compression is a very common way to go with fixtures and fixture shut-offs. I will say that the sizes don't quite seem right to me based on the pic.

Likes Stephen Tashi
That existing ball valve has a reducer (with pipe threads) attached to it to accept the smaller compression fitting. Replace the reducer with an elbow, followed by whatever is needed to mate with the new braided line.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Stephen Tashi
As @Tom.G said, an elbow.
There's a special type made for tight spaces, "Street Elbow".

Streetelbow.jpg

I recommend use pipe sealant that comes in a tube instead of the Teflon tape we all grew to love..
Since they took the lead out of brass it doesn't seal well anymore with Teflon tape and will likely drip , ruining your cabinet.
https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/thread-sealants/permatex-thread-sealant-with-ptfe/

BTW - nice job there with that ball valve...

old jim

Attachments

• Streetelbow.jpg
    Streetelbow.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 862
Likes Tom.G and Stephen Tashi
I'll heed the unanimous decision and put a street elbow into the non-compression pipes.

However, just out of curiosity, are there any female fittings designed to fit over male compression fittings? - a female connection that doesn't depend on a compression sleeve? Does the male part of a compression fitting have a size or threading different than ordinary pipes?

Likes jim hardy
Stephen Tashi said:
I'll heed the unanimous decision and put a street elbow into the non-compression pipes.

However, just out of curiosity, are there any female fittings designed to fit over male compression fittings? - a female connection that doesn't depend on a compression sleeve? Does the male part of a compression fitting have a size or threading different than ordinary pipes?
Yes. What is on the end of that braided hose in the pic in your first post fits a male compression without actually compressing any pipe with a compression sleeve. There is a rubber seal inside end of the braided hose that seals up against the male compression fitting in the fixture shut-off valve that would typically be used. Beyond this I know of none but that is not to say they don't exist.

Look at the myriad fittings in a good hardware store - it's amazing.

Likes sparkie

1. How do pipe fittings work with male compression fittings?

Pipe fittings are used to connect two or more pipes together. Male compression fittings are a type of pipe fitting that has a male end with threads, allowing it to be screwed into a female fitting. The compression fitting works by compressing a ring or ferrule onto the pipe, creating a tight seal and preventing leaks.

2. Can any pipe fitting be used with male compression fittings?

No, not all pipe fittings are compatible with male compression fittings. Compression fittings are designed to work with pipes that have a smooth, even surface. If the pipe has any damages or irregularities, it may not create a proper seal with the compression fitting.

3. What are the benefits of using male compression fittings?

Male compression fittings offer several benefits, such as easy installation without the need for special tools, a strong and reliable connection, and the ability to be disassembled and re-used if needed. They also have a low profile, making them ideal for tight spaces.

4. Are there any limitations to using male compression fittings?

One limitation of using male compression fittings is that they may not be suitable for high-pressure applications. The compression ring may not be able to withstand high pressure, leading to leaks. It is important to check the pressure rating of the fitting before use.

5. How do I ensure a proper seal when using male compression fittings?

To achieve a proper seal with male compression fittings, it is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. This may include using the correct size and type of fittings, tightening the compression ring to the recommended torque, and ensuring the pipe is clean and free from any damages or debris. It is also recommended to use pipe joint compound or Teflon tape on the threads for added protection against leaks.