Do semiconductors have to have a full valence band?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of valence bands in semiconductors and how they are affected by the atoms' valence shells. While a full valence shell does not necessarily mean a full valence band, in solids, the energy levels of the electrons widen into bands and can split, resulting in a full valence band. The concept of valence bands is different for individual atoms versus a group of atoms in a solid material.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

In my book it says that semiconductors have a full valence band and a fermi energy somewhere in between that valence band and the conduction band. But its two examples of semiconductors, crystals of Silicon or Germanium, have a [tex]3s^2 3p^2[/tex] resp. [tex]4s^2 4p^2[/tex] outer shell, so surely they can't result in a full valence band?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A valence shell is different from a valence band. It's possible for atoms with partially empty valence shells to have full valence bands because the energy levels of the electrons widen into bands and can split when the atoms are brought close together, as is the case with a solid.

Hm, I thought that each azimuthal quantum number [tex]l[/tex] corresponded to one valence band, that is what my book is implying anyway, but I suppose that's wrong then.

Thank you.

well :) A single atom is one thing, and a group of closed atoms (material) is another thing.

wow, that's the worst explanation I've ever had about anything

1. What is a valence band in a semiconductor?

A valence band in a semiconductor is a range of energy levels that contains the outermost electrons of the atoms in the semiconductor material. These electrons are responsible for the conductivity of the material.

2. Why is a full valence band important in semiconductors?

A full valence band is important in semiconductors because it allows for efficient electron conduction. When the valence band is full, there is no room for electrons to move, creating what is known as an insulator. This makes it easier for the semiconductor to control the flow of electrons and allows for the creation of electronic devices with specific functions.

3. Can semiconductors function without a full valence band?

Yes, semiconductors can function without a full valence band. In fact, most semiconductors have a partially filled valence band. This allows for the material to have some conductivity, but not as much as a material with a full valence band.

4. How is the fullness of a valence band determined?

The fullness of a valence band is determined by the number of electrons that occupy the energy levels within the band. A full valence band means that all of the energy levels are occupied, while a partially filled band means that some energy levels are empty.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the fullness of a valence band in semiconductors?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the fullness of a valence band in semiconductors. These include the type of semiconductor material, temperature, and the presence of impurities or dopants in the material. These factors can impact the number of electrons in the valence band and therefore affect the conductivity of the material.