Do sound waves get bigger when they bounce off a wall?

In summary, when standing in a corner with your face towards the wall, you may notice that your voice sounds unusually loud. This is due to the constructive interference of sound waves from different point sources, creating a louder noise. This phenomenon can also occur when standing close to a flat wall, but is more pronounced in a corner due to the double echo.
JazzyJones

Homework Statement

The questions states,
"If you speak while standing in a corner with your face toward the wall, you will sometimes notice that your voice sounds unusually loud. Explain."

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this because the sound waves are bunched up when they bounce off the corner? Or is it the corner that causes the sound waves to intersect with each other and get larger by following the superposition principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JazzyJones! :smile:

I don't think it has anything to do with waves …

isn't it just, where is the sound coming from (with or without the walls)?

tiny-tim said:
Hi JazzyJones! :smile:

I don't think it has anything to do with waves …

isn't it just, where is the sound coming from (with or without the walls)?

I don't understand what you're saying.

You can just stand close to a flat wall and hear your voice louder than usual simply because the echo is from an unusually short distance and with no soft furnishings to absorb it. Obviously, standing in a corner gives you two lots of close echo, so that's a possible answer. But from the qualification "you will sometimes notice", I suspect they want an answer which does involve the wave nature of sound. You mention intersections of waves. What happens when waves from different point sources intersect?

haruspex said:
You can just stand close to a flat wall and hear your voice louder than usual simply because the echo is from an unusually short distance and with no soft furnishings to absorb it. Obviously, standing in a corner gives you two lots of close echo, so that's a possible answer. But from the qualification "you will sometimes notice", I suspect they want an answer which does involve the wave nature of sound. You mention intersections of waves. What happens when waves from different point sources intersect?
wont the waves create a constructive interference if their peaks line up, generating a louder noise?

JazzyJones said:
wont the waves create a constructive interference if their peaks line up, generating a louder noise?
Yes, I think that's what they're after.

1. Do sound waves change in size when they bounce off a wall?

No, sound waves do not physically change in size when they bounce off a wall. They maintain the same amplitude (or height) as they had before bouncing.

2. Why do sound waves appear louder when they bounce off a wall?

Sound waves may appear louder when they bounce off a wall because the reflected wave combines with the original wave, resulting in an increase in amplitude. This phenomenon is known as constructive interference.

3. Can the size of a sound wave affect its ability to bounce off a wall?

Yes, the size of a sound wave, or its wavelength, can affect its ability to bounce off a wall. Generally, sound waves with longer wavelengths are more likely to bounce off a wall compared to those with shorter wavelengths.

4. How do sound waves change direction when they bounce off a wall?

When sound waves bounce off a wall, they obey the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the sound wave hits the wall) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the sound wave bounces off the wall).

5. Is there a limit to how many times a sound wave can bounce off a wall?

Sound waves can bounce off a wall multiple times, but the intensity of the sound will decrease with each bounce due to energy loss. Eventually, the sound will dissipate and may no longer be audible.