Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the eigenfunctions for the position operator form an orthogonal set?

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    Starting with,

[itex]\hat{X}\psi = x\psi[/itex]

then,

[itex]x\psi = x\psi[/itex]

[itex]\psi = \psi[/itex]

So the eigenfunctions for this operator can equal anything (as long as they keep [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] linear and Hermitian), right?

Well, McQuarrie says that "the eigenfunctions of a Hermitian operator are orthogonal", which can be checked with:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi^*_m \psi_n\, dx = \langle m | n \rangle = 0[/itex]

But if the eigenfunctions can be anything, then that integral won't always equal zero. What am I missing here?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, you're messing up because you're using x as both the eigenvalue and the operator X. The correct equation should look like:

[tex]\hat{X}\psi=y\psi[/tex]

We can't know a priori that the eigenfunction [itex]\psi[/itex] has eigenvalue x, so we must use y as the eigenvalue.

Therefore

[tex]x\psi=y\psi[/tex]

And

[tex](x-y)\psi=0[/tex]

Let's make the notation better still:

[tex](x-y)\psi_y(x)=0[/tex]

So, our wave function is a function of x, and it has eigenvalue y for the x-operator.

What "function" can make this true for arbitrary x and y? Well, actually there is no function that can make this true for arbitrary x and y other than the trivial [itex]\psi=0[/itex] function but this is the trivial case. In fact, x has no "eigenfunctions" in the strict sense of the word "function". The only thing that could make that above equality work is:

[tex]\psi_y(x)=\delta(x-y)[/tex]

Now you notice that this is STILL not square integrable, however, it IS orthogonal in some sense:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi_y(x)\psi_z(x)dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x-y)\delta(x-z)dx=\delta(y-z)[/tex]

This is the best that we can do. The eigenfunctions of x (and p) are not actually within the Hilbert space.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If X acts on wavefunctions of L2(R) as a multiplication through the real number x, then one can show that X is self-adjoint on his domain of definition. Then by the spectral theorem of Gelfand-Kostyuchenko-Maurin, an extension of it has a complete set of eigenfunctions is a rigged Hilbert space built over L2(R). The eigenfunctions are the Dirac delta distributions.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    Thanks, but...

Your explanation

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

My head

I think I'm going to have to find a more mathematically rigorous textbook on the subject as mine doesn't discuss Hilbert spaces, self-adjointness, or that spectral theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook