Do the electrons spend energy, and where that energy goes?

In summary, electrons spend energy as they move around their orbitals and some of that energy is turned into photons.
Physicsissuef
do the electrons "spend" energy, and where that energy goes?

do the electrons "spend" energy, and where
that energy goes?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'spend' ? Use ? Require ?
What are these electrons doing ? Electrons are put in motion by electric fields, and take potential energy from the field which becomes kinetic energy.

When they lose energy it goes into photons (light).
Check out Brehmstralung.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehmstralung

But in the absence of something to slow it, there's no reason for it to use/spend energy.

K.J.Healey said:
When they lose energy it goes into photons (light).
Check out Brehmstralung.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehmstralung

But in the absence of something to slow it, there's no reason for it to use/spend energy.

I mean when they move through their orbitals, do they spend energy?

Physicsissuef said:

Well, we do mostly believe that each orbital corresponds to a particular energy level, so I'd imagine that would mean they don't spend energy.

Physicsissuef said:

As the Earth moves around the sun, does it spend energy? :smile:

Then there's the question of whether an electron in an atomic orbital is "moving" in the classical sense... but that belongs in the Quantum Physics forum.

So it is like I through a ball, and it will have just kinteic energy, right?

Physicsissuef said:

No - as far as i know.
The electrons do not move around the nucleus as the Earth moves around the sun.
The electrons are described by a wave function which related to the probability of finding the electrons in any location around the nucleus, the electron is not "there" , the constant probability of finding the electron there is "there" and it's spread around the nucleus.
When charge particles accelerate they emit energy as electromagnetic radiation, if the electron was moving around the nucleus as the Earth moves around the sun it would emit all its energy.

Related to Do the electrons spend energy, and where that energy goes?

1. Do electrons always spend energy when they move?

Yes, electrons always spend energy when they move. This is due to the fact that they are charged particles and therefore have kinetic energy.

2. Where does the energy spent by electrons go?

The energy spent by electrons goes towards a variety of things depending on the context. In a circuit, it can be used to power devices, while in atoms it can be used to excite other electrons or produce light.

3. How do electrons gain energy?

Electrons can gain energy through various means such as absorbing photons, collisions with other particles, or through an external electric field.

4. Can electrons lose energy?

Yes, electrons can lose energy. This can happen when they release photons, collide with other particles, or through other forms of energy transfer.

5. Does the energy spent by electrons affect the overall energy of the system?

Yes, the energy spent by electrons can affect the overall energy of the system. For example, in a circuit, the energy spent by electrons can power devices and affect the overall energy consumption of the system.